MCLEOD PLANTATION - McLeod Plantation Historic Site Volunteer
Volunteer Job Description
Position: McLeod Plantation Historic Site Volunteer
Supervisor: Lead History Volunteer Aide
Objective: Volunteers for McLeod Plantation Historic Site assist staff by hosting the historic house and answering visitors’ questions, providing support at special events, and helping with other projects relating to the site and its history.
General Statement of Job: Provide station-based interpretation in the McLeod House and occasionally at other locations at McLeod Plantation Historic Site. (Most activity takes place in an indoor setting.) Engage visitors in informal interactions and provide quality customer service focused on greeting, orienting, and answering questions. Perform housekeeping duties to maintain work environment and visitor areas, assist with special event crowd control and/or programming, and other duties as assigned.
- Ability to effectively engage in culturally and racially sensitive communication.
- A general interest and/or knowledge of the history and cultural resources of the Charleston County area and of South Carolina.
- Ability to verbally communicate well with others.
- Ability to actively listen.
- Ability to read and interpret body language of others.
- Ability to consider and present a variety of human perspectives.
- Ability to present oneself professionally in the field of interpretation and conform to CCPRC uniform requirements.
- Ability to follow instructions in an organized manner and complete assigned tasks to the satisfaction of the direct supervisor.
- Ability to fulfill agreed-to time commitments, arriving on time and remaining for duration of scheduled shift.
Time Commitment: We ask that you provide MPHS with a 4 hour shift each week.
Training: Training will be provided by the Interpretation Coordinator and/or the Lead Interpretive Aide in content and methodology.
Requirements: All volunteers at MPHS must be 18 years of age or older. We expect potential volunteers to fully participate in and satisfactorily complete required training in areas of content and methodology. We prefer individuals with previous experience interacting with the public at natural and/cultural history related sites.
- Background Check
- Able to stand and/or walk for long periods of time Must be at least Yes
- Age range Must be at least 18 or older
- Comfortable interacting with the public and large crowds Must be at least Yes
- Current Background Check (Remit every 3 years) Must be Passed