Gardening Assistant at Little Holland House
Little Holland House is a unique Arts & Crafts style house in Carshalton Beeches. It was designed and built by Frank Dickinson, between 1902 and 1904, who lived there
with his wife Florence and their two children. It is now owned and opened to the
public by the London Borough of Sutton. The garden is integral to the history and
story of the house and the Dickinson family, with some original planting, like the pear
tree, Frank and Florence received as a wedding gift in 1904, still very much growing.
We are looking for volunteers to help us keep the history and spirit of the Dickinson
garden alive, as we share the house and garden with the community on our public
We are looking for volunteers to assist us in clearing and replanting the garden, which will involve a range of tasks including:
● Weeding, pruning and general garden maintenance.
● Assisting with replanting and a chance to be involved with research on a
● Helping to prepare the garden for open days
You don’t need to be an expert but some gardening experience would be
● Enthusiasm for helping to care for a local history and heritage interest garden
● Interest in the local area and its history
● A proactive and positive attitude
● You should be physically fit and able to lift, bend and kneel
The amount of work will vary with the seasons but approximately 2-3 hours per week on a date to be arranged.
Little Holland House, 40 Beeches Avenue, Carshalton SM5 3LW.
Benefits to you:
● Opportunities to meet new people and be part of our friendly team
● Sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm to make a difference to our visitors
● Gain a sense of pride and satisfaction from helping restore an important
● Help to preserve and promote local heritage. Support offered: We are fully
committed to ensuring that volunteers have a positive experience and are fully supported. You will receive training and induction for this role, and ongoing support from a member of the museum staff.
● Personal wellbeing through physical activity, being outside and connecting
● Tea, coffee (or similar) and biscuits / cake
We are fully committed to ensuring that volunteers have a positive experience and
are fully supported. You will receive training and induction for this role, and ongoing
support from a member of the Sutton Cultural Services Heritage team. All tools and
equipment will be provided.