Animal Transport Driver
Goal for this position:
As an Animal Transport Driver, your role will provide hands-on support to our animal centres through activities such as transferring animals between animal centres to find loving families, driving animals to medical appointments, and picking up local donations.
Transportation is a critical step that has a huge impact on the lives of animals in our animal centres every single day.
- Follow Ontario SPCA animal transport protocols at all times
- Follow route plan as determined, contact team lead if the plan changes
- Clean and disinfect vehicle if required by protocols
- Ensure proper restraints are used appropriately such as seat belts and perform safety checks of the vehicle along the way
- 18 years of age or older with a valid Full G Ontario Driver's License
- A, AZ or D license would be an asset
- Clear driver record
- Experience driving a large truck with a trailer or a large van an asset
- Comfortable driving on the 400 series highways and isolated areas
- Animal handling experience with dogs an asset
- Comfortable with changing timelines and occasional work outside of regular business hours
- Comfortable driving in inclement weather
- Ability to follow Ontario SPCA best practices guidelines.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs
- Travel might be required during inclement weather conditions on rural remote roads.
- Assistance outside of regular business hours might be required.
- May be exposed to diseases or infections carried by animals.
- Bending. lifting, or reaching will be required when loading and unloading animals, along with some heavy lifting.
- Directly impact our ability to further extend our resources for animals in need.
- Learn about best practices in animal handling and transport.
- Make like-minded friends, non-furry and furry!
- Behind the scenes access to our animal centres.
- Access to our knowledgeable staff and wellness resources.
- Ability to customize your schedule, choose your assignments and update your profile, through our online community.
We recognize your time contribution to being a volunteer. Therefore, we support a customized approach to your schedule to best suit your availability. During our onboarding process, we will capture your time preferences and availability. We are always looking for individuals who are dependable and responsible. This role is flexible and can operate daily depending on the need. As part of the driving team, you can select the transportation appointments you want to take based on your schedule.
Orientation and Training
Before you start your journey with us, our organization will provide you with the following training:
- Infection Control
- How to access our online community
- Fear Free concepts
- Animal transportation processes and best practices
We will indicate which training will be required prior to your commencement, and which training we encourage you to participate in at your earliest convenience.
Supervision and Support
As a volunteer, you will be supported by the animal centre staff. This staff partner will provide you with training for your specific role, your schedule, and any required feedback or updates. The Volunteer Development Team will always be available to offer support and guidance. You will also have direct access to our online community, where you can find organizational updates, posted information and contact information for your staff partners.