Board Service and Committees - Airdrie Winter Games Society- Protocol Director
Scope of Position
The Airdrie 2020 Alberta Winter Games Society is seeking a Director, Protocol to make decisions regarding the entire Games in conjunction with the Board of Directors. Specific responsibilities would include creating plans for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies and medal presentations.
This role encompasses guest invitations, registration, hospitality, clothing for Directors and Games Ambassadors, Future Host venue tour, athlete’s entertainment and torch relay. It also oversees a volunteer team of committee chairs to assist the Director, Protocol.
September 2018 – March 2020
- Develop plans for Opening and Closing Ceremonies and Medal presentations.
- Develop plans for Games Ambassadors, guest invitations, registration and hospitality.
- Develop plan for Games clothing for Directors, Games Ambassadors, etc.
- Develop plan for a Future Host Venue Tour, Athletes Entertainment, and a Torch Relay.
- Create a detailed portfolio budget.
- Determine the number of committee volunteers required. Recruit, register, train and schedule volunteers.
- Coordinate the activities of the committee in cooperation with the Alberta Sport Connection and the Games staff.
- Ensure plans are implemented with the approved budget, timeline, policies and procedures.
- Attend essential meetings and committee meetings as required.
- Prepare a final report.
- Minimum three years progressive experience in government relations and protocol.
- Be self-motivated and goal oriented.
- Ability to deal with donors, sponsors and the public, in person, on the phone and through email.
- Experience in developing and working with volunteer boards.
- Confident public speaker with the ability to engage donors, volunteers and community organizations.
- Superior communications, interpersonal, writing and organization skills.
- Established relationships with Airdrie and area business community an asset.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computers and peripherals.
- Walking and standing for extended periods of time.
- Occasional heavy lifting between 10 lbs to 30 lbs.
- Ability to work in a loud environment.
- High-stress, fast paced environment.