Administrative/Office Work - MS Society of Canada: Thursday Progam Coordinator
MS Society of Canada, Calgary & Area Chapter
Volunteer Position Description
Programs & Services
Thursday Program Coordinator, Social Programs
Purpose: To assist in the planning, and facilitation of the one, two or three of the Thursday Programs (Crafts & Conversation, Morning and Afternoon Coffee Break).
- Assist in planning theme days and program plans for each week of programs
- Create a plan and design a calendar for each month outlining the program plans for the month
- Ensure supplies are available – notify staff to the needed supplies for each week’s program
- Set up of the room and any supplies as well as with preparation of coffee and snack each week.
- Ensuring the safety of all clients while at programs and ensure that all clients have a ride home at the end of the program
- Refer clients to an MS Society staff member as needed
- Greet clients as they arrive/say goodbye and assist with jackets
Skills, Attitudes, Knowledge Required:
- Knowledge of MS and the MS Society
- Good communication skills
- Ability to assist clients
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to adapt activities to meet individual client needs and assist clients in accomplishing specific tasks
- CPR/First Aid would be an asset
Training and Orientation:
- Overview of social programs
- On-site training for adaptation skills and program planning skills
- 2-hour overview of Multiple Sclerosis Society & Multiple Sclerosis, symptoms and symptom management
- On going training (1 more training session in the first year and 2 training sessions in subsequent years
Time Commitment: 2-3 hours/week for 8 months. Program runs from September – June.
Supervisory Relationships/liaison: Coordinator Programs & Services
This is considered a position of trust and therefore volunteers are required to undergo a screening process involving a police background check facilitated by the MS Society at no cost to the individual. Volunteer in this role will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Working Environment: This position takes place indoors, volunteers are expected to set up chairs and any equipment, trolleys and bins are provided.
- Gain hands on work experience within the non profit sector
- Have an opportunity to meet new people
- Be part of the MS Society Volunteer program which helps in fulfilling our mission
- Reference letter upon request
Contact: Dionne Hemsley