Foundational Literacy Volunteer
Foundational Literacy Volunteer
Part-time volunteer positions of 4 hours per week
Detailed Job Description
As one of Alberta’s leading not-for-profits, Prospect lives by four words: Break barriers. Employ change. You must share our passion for equity, diversity and inclusivity.
The Foundational Literacy volunteer is responsible for providing support to clients to become engaged in their communities and the workforce through volunteer placements and activities. You will be responsible for helping clients define their foundational literacy goals, working towards them on a weekly basis, helping them assess their progress towards their goals to celebrate success with them.
In this extremely rewarding volunteer role you will be responsible for the following:
• Assist in setting up foundational literacy goals with participants based on their area of need for employment, education, or personal lives.
• Coordinate weekly tutoring sessions to work towards participant goals, identify gaps and create action plans in collaboration with other service providers within Prospect.
• Assist in tracking and recording participant progress.
• Provide training and continually work towards understanding all Prospect's programs so a client can be referred as appropriate.
• Facilitate one on one /group sessions with learners. This role is in person at our Franklin location.
What Does It Take to Do This Role?
- Some post-secondary education and/or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience (Teaching & Facilitation) will be considered an asset.
- Basic to Intermediate skill level in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Exceptional oral communication, and interpersonal skills including the ability to build relationships and work with participants conducive to their comfort level.
- Experience working with a diverse demographic an asset.
Break Barriers. Employ Change.
Prospect helps people get jobs. We’re a not-for-profit and registered charity, so while the bottom line can’t be ignored, it’s not our priority. Albertans are. We welcome anyone who is looking for a better life through employment, regardless of barriers. We’re creative and resourceful. Our methods include art and the great Alberta outdoors. We help young and old, people changing industries, recent immigrants, veterans, people with disabilities, and everyday Albertans who feel that the job search process has become daunting. If that sounds good to you, read on!
Prospect strongly believes in its five brand pillars and is looking for great candidates who share the same beliefs:
Prospect approaches every opportunity with enthusiasm. We drive change with energy, optimism and commitment. Anyone who walks through our doors can feel the positive energy.
In every facet of our work, our actions show a commitment to professional management and service delivery. Prospect is accountable, ethical and honest.
Prospect creates change by envisioning the end game and creating the means to realize it. We believe asking “why not?” aids progress. Solutions are created when we think beyond traditional boundaries.
Prospect is driven to achieve equal access for all to opportunities and resources. We strive to create a fair, healthy and high-performing environment where everyone is respected, encouraged and motivated, and their contributions help Prospect attain its goals.
Prospect seeks different perspectives. All parties must be engaged, including for-profit, not-for-profit, funders and government. Only by understanding all points of view can we create inclusive workplaces.
- The successful candidate must pass a background criminal check and working with vulnerable populations
- Those with a combination of post-secondary education along with professional experience will be considered
How to Apply
Kindly forward your resume and cover letter to Volunteers@prospectnow.ca