Fundraising Event Helpers
At St Christopher’s we put people at the heart of everything we do. We believe that all dying people and those close to them deserve to have the best care and support, wherever and whenever they need it. We do all we can to make this happen, providing physical, emotional and spiritual support to over 7,500 people across south east London every year. People like you, your mum, your dad, your nan, your sister, your friend, and your neighbour.
In order to provide this support, we need to raise approximately £15million every year. One of the ways in which we achieve this is through fundraising events, however organising and running events requires a lot of people power! We’re looking for people who are willing to volunteer their time to help ensure the success of our fundraising events.
Ways in which you can help
- Assisting with setting up and/or clearing down equipment required for our events such as marquees, tables and signage. In the lead up to the event and/or on the event day.
- Route marking or marshalling to ensure event participants stay on track.
- Taking on tasks such as handing out water bottles, finisher’s medals, and branded t-shirts at the event;
- Manning specific stations and interacting with our supporters;
- Helping to ensure all of our supporters attending the event are well looked after from start to finish;
- Supporting members of the fundraising team where required.
Why we need your help
- To ensure our fundraising events run smoothly and all who attend have a great experience
- To enable us to raise money to support our vision in which all dying people and those close to them have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it
Your time commitment
- Our fundraising events occur throughout the year, and usually on weekends. We will contact you as and when we need help with as much notice as possible. There is no expectation of the number of events you help with; you’ll be able to choose the amount of commitment to suit your circumstances.
Where will you be based?
This depends on the event, but typically in the community, based in one of the five boroughs we cover (Croydon, Bromley, Lambeth, Lewisham, or Southwark).
What you can gain from volunteering in this role
- Experience in the organisation and running of charity events;
- The opportunity to join an enthusiastic team, meet new people and get more involved in your local community
- The chance to develop your existing skills and learn new ones
- The knowledge that you are helping dying people in your local community have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
Training and support provided
- Role specific training
- Access to our volunteer Handbook
- A weekly e-newsletter with updates from the Volunteering Team
- Role specific training including: health and safety briefings and full instructions on using event equipment safely
- Support from the Fundraising team on the day and leading up to the event
What we are looking for
- Someone who enjoys meeting and talking to people
- Willingness to help at outdoor events throughout the year
- Enthusiasm and positivity
- The ability to follow our policies and procedures to keep you, our staff, our patients and our customers safe
- A desire to represent St Christopher’s and our values
Anything else you need to know
• There is a short settling in period to see if the role is right for you. This helps us ensure you’re happy and enjoying the role.
• You must be 16 years old or over to do this role
• This role will require the receipt of one reference (this can be a neighbour, family friend or someone who has known you for some time – but not a member of your own family)
• At St Christopher’s we believe that no volunteer should be out of pocket
because of their volunteering. The reimbursement of reasonable out of pocket
expenses incurred whilst volunteering will help ensure volunteering is
accessible to all. All expenses to be reclaimed should be agreed with the
manager/supervisor or the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator in advance.
Equality and diversity
St Christopher’s recognises the qualities and strengths that a diverse group of
volunteers bring to the organisation and we therefore particularly welcome
applications from our underrepresented groups from within the local communities
and from a range of different cultures and backgrounds.