Why we need your help
Have you got a flair for fashion and a good eye for colour? Are you passionate about pre-loved clothes, furniture and accessories? Then join our retail team in one of our high street shops and help raise around £1 million for St Christopher’s each year.
What time should you offer?
We’d like your help with a shift a week; we’d love it if you could do more! Our shifts vary; they can be between 3-7 hours long and timings can be agreed between the volunteer and shop manager. The majority of our shops are open seven days a week.
What activities will you be involved in as part of this volunteer role?
This can vary depending on the shop and each individual volunteer’s skill set, but it could be:
- Dressing windows
- Displaying clothes and accessories to make them as appealing to buyers as possible
- To assist in keeping the sales floor well stocked
- To sort, size and price donated items according to the shops’ policy
- Taking money and registering purchases using the till.
- To undertake banking and till reconciliations if required
- To deal sensitively and politely with customers to the shop – bearing in mind some may be bereaved.
- To sensitively accept donations from the public which may be either goods for sale or money – bearing in mind some may be bereaved.
- Undertake activities which relate to keeping the shop clean and tidy e.g. vacuuming
- Representing St Christopher’s and our values at all times during your shift
Where will you be based?
In one of our high street shops – you can choose the shops you’d prefer to help in. Full address details can be found on the end of the role description.
What you can gain from volunteering in this role
- Join an enthusiastic team of people and get more involved in your local community
- Use and develop your skills, enhancing your CV
- Know you are helping people in your local community have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
Training and support provided
- Welcome session and ongoing support provided by shop manager
- All training will take place in the shop
- A health and safety briefing will be provided on your first day.
- You will need to read and complete a learning workbook which needs to be refreshed each year to continue volunteering in this role.
- Gift Aid training
- Training on use of the till, back office PC, tagging gun and steamer where needed.
What we are looking for
- Good listener and clear communicator
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to follow our policies and procedures to keep you, and our customers and staff safe
- Ability to represent St Christopher’s and our values positively
Anything else you need to know
How to apply
We ask all those interested to complete a taster session in the shop(s) of their choice in the first instance.
Please call or pop in to speak to the manager and arrange this.
The volunteer role will be agreed with you following successful completion of the taster, completed application form and references.