Why we need your help
Our staff tells us that reaching their objectives during a time of change can be difficult. We want to support our staff so that their wellbeing, work practices and development is supported to its potential. The aim of the People and Organisational Development directorate is to create and support a coaching culture throughout the organisation and we’d like to ask people with coaching skills and experience to support this on a voluntary basis.
You will play a huge part in helping us to achieve our vision, in which all dying people and those close to them have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
What time should you offer?
Ideally we’d like you to offer between 3 and 6 one hour coaching sessions (dependent on individual need and your availability) on a monthly basis.
What activities will you be involved in as part of this volunteer role?
- Using established coaching models, such as GROW, to help the staff member to improve their own performance: in other words, helping them to learn.
- Facilitate learning through 60 minute face to face coaching sessions, over a period of 3 to 6 months.
- Keeping a note of conversations as a reminder for the next session. Encouraging staff member to record their own reflections and actions.
- Maintaining confidentiality at all times.
- You will only be matched with one staff member at a time. Please note we are particularly seeking volunteer coaches to work with a wide range of senior managers.
Where will you be based?
Coaching sessions can be held at either the Sydenham or Orpington hospice sites:
- St Christopher’s Hospice, 51-59 Lawrie Park Road, Sydenham, London, SE26 6DZ
- Caritas House, Tregony Road, Orpington, Kent, BR6 9XA
What you can gain from volunteering in this role
- Meet some of our enthusiastic team of people and get more involved in your local community
- Use and develop your coaching skills, enhancing your CV. We can supply a reference once you have completed a coaching journey with a staff member.
- Know you are helping dying people in your local community have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
Training and support provided
- Support provided by the HR and Training team
What we are looking for
- Experience of coaching in a HR or training context
- Ideally completed some training or qualifications in coaching
- Good listener and clear communicator
- Ability to follow our policies and procedures to keep you, our staff, our patients and our customers safe
- Ability to represent St Christopher’s and our values positively.
Anything else you need to know
- There is a short settling in period to see if the role is right for you
- You must be 18 years old or over to do this role
- The volunteer role will be agreed with you following receipt of two references.