Community Outreach - I want to help spread the BBD message!
I like to talk with people and am interested in helping spread the news at local community events be staffing a table, sharing information, and interacting with the public.
Purpose: Share information with the community about the importance/urgency of blood donation through education about the blood donor to recipient process and regional need.
- Greet and interact with the public, donors, other volunteers, staff in a positive, friendly helpful manner.
- Learn about blood donor to recipient process in order to answer frequently asked questions and share information.
- When you don’t know the answer to a question, be willing to say “I don’t know, and I will find out for you. Please share your contact information so we can get back to you.”
- Initiate conversations with people near the table area. Use available interactive tools and giveaways to attract people to the table.
- Gather potential donor contact information and encourage people to schedule a donation.
- Be able to move Ambassador Supply Bag to location (off-site). Be prepared to set up and pack up at the end of the event. Have transportation to get to the BBD center to pick up supplies and get to event.
- Give suggestions, issues, or comments to Angela Williamson, Community & Volunteer Relations Specialist, 302-737-8405 ext. 819 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Log volunteer hours if more than scheduled.
- Friendly, able to communicate clearly and in a positive manner. Be observant of people’s responses in order to gauge whether someone wants more information or is not interested.
- Embrace Blood Bank of Delmarva (BBD) Core Values: Inspiring Heroes, Infusing Hope through STAR IQ:
- Service - Serve others with compassion and professionalism making a positive impact in the community.
- Teamwork – Recognize communication is central, work together, support one another, celebrate and show appreciation for others.
- Accountability – Proactively move when something needs to be done, own mistakes and correct quickly, follow through with commitments.
- Respect – Treat others as we want to be treated, be compassionate, appreciate individual differences without judgement.
- Integrity – Be honest, transparent and trustworthy, do right even when no one watches, and lead by example.
- Quality – Adapt to change based on facts, constantly learn and develop knowledge, uphold highest standards of safety and excellence.
☒Sits ☒Stands ☒Required to walk, and reach with the hands and arms
☒Hands are regularly used to handle, write or type
☒Weights up to 20-40 lbs. are occasionally lifted in this position
- Meet new people and enjoy camaraderie with donors, volunteers and staff.
- Learn or use skills, talents, experiences to further self-development and/or résumé building.
- Feel good knowing you are helping BBD save lives by assisting in the process of blood donation, and the lifesaving distribution of blood products to area hospitals.
- Learn and gain appreciation for the blood donation process and the multiple steps it takes for a donation to get to a recipient.
- Earn hours towards Presidents Volunteer Service Award, Volunteer DE 50+, RSVP, and/or school credits.
- Variable. Events often occur during weekends and evenings, and, occasionally, on weekdays. Sign up as available.
Orientation and Training Required:
- Read through the Ambassador information packet and review before going out, track questions to which you don’t have answers and ask Angela Williamson who will update FAQ training sheets.
- Watch this volunteer training video before going out on an assignment! 15 minutes of animated Angela! Click: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URzvqeDtGGA
- Shadow Angela Williamson (or approved volunteer) on at least 2 events before going solo.
- Wear your nametag. Contact Angela Williamson if you need one.
- Add your hours into the myimpactpage.com
- For assigned and scheduled activities, volunteer hours will automatically be added for your profile. If you volunteer more than your scheduled time, please go to https://app.betterimpact.com/ and add only the additional time, not the entire time volunteered. You may also enter your additional time on paper sheets in certain locations if different than scheduled time.
- If not assigned to a scheduled date/time, please add your hours on myimpactpage.com
- For any questions on hours/time keeping, please contact Angela Williamson at email@example.com or 302-737-8405 Ext. 819
- If you can’t come on scheduled day, who do you contact?
- Email Angela Williamson firstname.lastname@example.org and call 302-737-8405, ext. 819.
- Logistics & Details:
- Location Address: Off-site location varies.
- Reports to Angela Williamson
- Age Minimum: 18 (15 with trained parent who also is an Ambassador)
- Parking? Varies
- Whom to meet and where? Varies upon event, will be emailed by Angela Williamson prior to event.
- What to wear? Refer to Volunteer Handbook. BBD nametag mandatory. BBD shirt, if you have one.
- Is there food/water available for purchase or free? Off-site amenities vary. Off-site amenities vary. Be prepared to bring your own food/water.
- Inclement weather – Call 302-737-8405 ext. 411 for updates – but please be safe and don’t report to volunteer if the conditions are not good, even if the centers or mobiles are operating! Your safety is a priority. If not attending event, email Angela Williamson.
Staff Responsibilities for this Volunteer Position
- Train volunteer for specific needs of the role (technical, procedure, etc.).
- Prepare and have training guides available to the volunteer.
- Have tasks, supplies, and/or work area prepared for them to do their tasks.
- Give feedback (constructive tips on how to do it properly, praise when done well, etc.).
- Report any volunteer issues, ideas, or concerns to Angela Williamson at ext. 819 immediately.
- Work with Angela Williamson who will support and help in these responsibilities as needed and set up pre-volunteer training in the online volunteer system.
Volunteer Signature below constitutes understanding of the requirements, essential functions and tasks of this Ambassador Volunteer role and attests to being fully capable to perform these volunteer tasks without restrictions.
Volunteer Signature: Date:
Print Name: ____________________________________________
Persons under the age of 18 will need a parent or guardian permission and signature.
Parent/Guardian Signature : Date:
Printed Name of Parent/Guardian:
BLOOD BANK OF DELMARVA:
Volunteer Relations: Date:
Angela Williamson, Community & Volunteer Relations Specialist
Staff supervising this role: Date:
Print Name: ____________________________________________