Music and Memory
Music and Memory is an iPod based music program for all residents of the Nursing Home that is especially beneficial for persons with dementia.
There are many benefits to the residents that include; triggering forgotten memories, increases cooperation and attention, reducing resistance to care, agitation and sun downing and enhances engagement and socialization.
Each resident is provided with his or her very own iPod and personalized playlist that is kept in a cubby in each Home Area.
Objective: To assist in bring personalized music to residents on a one-on-one basis
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To attend all training
- To wear assigned Finlandia Village Volunteer identification
- To sign out equipment/chart for residents use,
- To assist residents in putting head phones on and manipulate an ipod,
- To sit or walk with residents as they listen to music on the head phones (approx. 40 minutes)
- To document (by check mark on a pre-designed form) noted changes in residents,
- To notify staff of any concerns relating to the resident
- To document any concerns about equipment on supplied forms
- To sign equipment in after sessions is complete
- To document volunteer hours in the volunteer log book
- To commit to at least 6 months of volunteering with the program
Interaction Level: moderate to high
- To demonstrate communication and interpersonal skills
- To maintain a patient, responsible, reliable and trustworthy friendship
- To maintain a supportive and respectful environment
- To convey empathy and compassion.
- To understand and maintain confidentiality of resident’s information
- Orientation and scheduled training
- A Valid Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
- 2-step Mantoux test (tuberculin skin test)
- To act in accordance with applicable policies and procedures.
- To engage in the life of and develop a friendship with an older adult
- To assist in offering the gift of music
- To potentially assist in triggering forgotten memories to older adults
- To enrich the lives of the residents while enjoying time and music together
- To develop a greater level of empathy and knowledge of the older adult population Alzheimer’s disease and related dementia
- To help to bridge the generational gap between older adults and young adults.
- Most of all, to know that volunteers are bringing joy to another person’s life
The life you enrich may be your own!