Literacy Support Volunteer
As a Literacy Support Volunteer you will work with identified Elementary School students on specific literacy-building tasks and activities as directed by a Building Literacy Coach (BLC).
Literacy Support Volunteers will engage students in reading books with a specific focus on decoding words, cultural responsiveness and comprehension.
You will work with individual students or small groups of students over the course of your volunteer shift.
**Every Literacy Support Volunteer must participate in an additional training before volunteering.**
- Able to attend required 1 hour in person Literacy Support Volunteer training prior to volunteering. Information about training will be provided after placement.
- Interest and/or experience volunteering with children
- Proficiency in elementary ELA/writing.
- Able to commit to volunteering at least 1 day a week for at least 3 months during the AAPS school day (9 am - 4 pm)
Ideal for volunteers who…
Enjoy interacting with children.
- Are interested in working 1:1 or in small groups with students to support their understanding and love of literacy.
Want to serve as a positive adult role model for AAPS students through volunteering at an AAPS school or schools.
- Seek an introduction to the field of education or is interested in a possible career in the field.