English Conversation Circle Facilitator (18+ years of age)
This program is designed to help newcomers learn conversation, communication and soft skills. Volunteers will want to invest time in a meaningful program that supports newcomers to Canada and will have an interest in learning and sharing cultural experiences. Volunteers will connect with people from different cultures and backgrounds in order to help participants improve their spoken English. They will also have the opportunity to develop leadership, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Assist with room set-up, put away work sheets and displays and tidy up after each meeting
- Provide a friendly, welcoming greeting to participants as they arrive.
- Take attendance.
- Facilitate discussions using the activities that will be provided by library staff.
- Help with group activities and arrange people into conversation groups.
- Sharing cultural experiences and expressions that are common in Canadian culture.
- Sign the volunteer attendance sheet and enter your completed hours on a weekly basis via your www.myvolunteerpage.com account
- Work with other volunteers as a team in meeting the needs of each participant and the Library Board.
- Report concerns, needs or incidents to the Public Services Facilitator, Coordinator of Volunteer Resources or other appropriate library staff.
TIME REQUIRED: 2.5 hours per week; Downtown volunteers will be needed from 10:30am – 1:00pm on Saturday mornings and Painswick volunteers will be needed from 10:00am – 12:30pm Saturday mornings. Winter 2017 dates are Jan 14-Feb 25 and Spring 2017 dates are March 25-May 27
SUPERVISOR: Public Services Facilitator
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be 19 years of age and up and have good literacy skills. Volunteers should have a desire to work with and guide newcomers to Barrie; they should be patient and friendly and have a positive outlook. Effective communication skills required, as well as an ability to communicate with people who do not have English as their native language. Reliability is essential.
SCREENING MEASURES: Once an application form is completed, two reference forms must be received by the library. An interview will be conducted. A Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check is required. Job performance is conducted on an ongoing basis.
ORIENTATION: An orientation session and package of information are provided.