Teen Advisory Board (Must be 14-19 years old)
Do you like free pizza? Do you love books and movies? Are you interested in planning events in your community? Do you need volunteer hours?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then the Barrie Public Library’s Teen Advisory Board is for you! As a TAB member you’ll help to plan fun programs and promote teen reading!
- Attend monthly TAB meetings on a regular basis, for one and a half to two hour periods.
- Assist in increasing teen awareness of the library and it’s teen resources to youth in the community through actively participating in Young Adult collection development, Young Adult programming, Young Adult volunteer opportunities, Young Adult services and the teen webpage.
- May become an officer on the TAB. Officers consist of three Representatives: A President; a Vide-President and a Secretary as well as the Young Adult Information Assistant.
- The President shall work with the Young Adult Information Assistant to organize TAB meetings, create TAB meeting agendas and preside over TAB meetings. The President will serve as membership coordinator, inform members of upcoming meetings, programs and events and serve as contact person for other TAB members.
- The Vice-President will serve as the President in his or her absence. The Vice-President will keep track of active and inactive members and new applications. The Vice-President will inform and remind all members of upcoming meetings, programs and special events or meetings.
- The Secretary will keep minutes of TAB meetings, providing copies to each member in a timely fashion. The Secretary will inform the Representatives of members that are absent and will read the previous minutes at the regular meeting.
- Report concerns, needs or incidents to the Young Adult Information Assistant or other appropriate library staff.
- Work with other volunteers as a team in meeting the needs of customers and the Library Board.
TIME REQUIRED: Varies; minimum 2 hours per month. TAB meetings are held at the Downtown Branch on the 4th Monday of the month.
SUPERVISOR: Young Adult Information Services Staff
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be 14-19 years of age, with exceptions for members who are 20 years of age and wish to retain membership in TAB. Must have an interest in providing library-related services to teens.
SCREENING MEASURES: Once an application form is completed, two reference forms must be received by the library. An interview will be conducted. A Police Record Check is required. Participation is evaluated on an ongoing basis.
ORIENTATION: An orientation session and package of information are provided.