Work experience opportunities are available for the following:
School students - Years 10-13
We will prioritise applications from school / college students that either live or study within the localities that NELFT cover which are: Barking & Dagenham, Redbridge, Waltham Forest, Havering, Thurrock, Basildon, Brentwood and Southend
- For some placements there are entry requirements that need to be met such as predicted grades
- Some clinical placements and all medical placements are age restricted
- To undertake a work experience placement within a mental health setting with patient contact you will need to be 18+ (with the exemption of those accepted onto our pre-medical school programme).
'Step into the NHS' programme
‘Step into the NHS’ is a 4 to 5 day programme that runs twice yearly in partnership with BHR Hospitals. The programme combines observational placements with classroom based workshops for over 16’s. The aim of the programme is to give students an insight into the diverse range of work carried out by different healthcare professionals in two large trusts. This will allow you to make an informed decision about pursuing a career within the NHS
The workshops include topics such as:
- career pathways into the NHS
- an insight into the different NHS professions
- interview skills
Pre-medical school work experience
As a major local NHS employer, service provider and health education provider, NELFT recognises its responsibilities in training tomorrow’s doctors. This is a process that begins before medical school while students are still undertaking their secondary school education. Work experience placements form an essential component of the portfolio for sixth form students planning to apply for a place at medical school.
We run an annual summer school dedicated to students that wish to pursue a career in medicine. This is a 5 day programme that consists of 3 days observing a doctor and 2 days in the classroom. The programme provides an opportunity for students to:
- observe the structures and processes of the National Health Service
- gain an insight into the work of doctors and the multidisciplinary teams in which they operate
- observe some of the demands, challenges and rewards of a medical career
- receive feedback on some of their own interpersonal competencies
- consider their suitability for such a career
General work experience
In addition to our structured programmes we offer a limited number of placements throughout the year providing opportunities to shadow health professionals within your chosen field.
NELFT can also offer a limited number of work experience placements within our business administration services throughout the year.
For adult learners and those serious about undertaking learning towards a health qualification with the view of pursuing a career within the NHS, we offer a limited number of placements that can offer the required exposure to your chosen career to aid you in your career decisions and support applications to learning providers.
Please note placement numbers are restricted and therefore we cannot guarantee every applicant will be accepted.
The length of placements will vary depending on area of work experience and will not exceed 2 weeks
We will not be able to consider incomplete applications or applications that do not meet the criteria.
To apply just click on the 'fill in an application' button