Parks - Instructor
Outdoor Adventure Volunteer Instructors
If you are great at motivating and encouraging people (adults and children) and you love outdoor adventure, this volunteer opportunity could be perfect for you.
Plano Parks and Recreation is looking for outdoor volunteer instructors to teach courses such as Leave No Trace, Slacklining, Basic Fishing, and Geology.
To lead these programs, you should have:
• A high level of skill in the activities you will be leading (certificates when available would be preferred)
• The ability to lead and manage groups of people
• The ability to give clear instructions and explanation
• Patience and the ability to inspire confidence and give encouragement
• The ability to remain calm in difficult or dangerous situations
• A responsible attitude and awareness of health and safety with First Aid Certification
• The ability to pass a background check
Requirements for Specific Course Instructors:
- Leave No Trace - Extensive knowledge of “Leave No Trace” principles and practices. Leave No Trace Trainer course completion is preferred.
- Slacklining - Provide and demonstrate slackline webbing and anchors in order to teach participants the basics of slacklining. Extensive knowledge and background of slacklining – either for performance or recreation.
- Basic Fishing – Must know how to bait a hook, cast a line, etc. TPWD Certified Angler Instructor preferred, but not required.
- Geology - A BS in Geology or school teacher with knowledge of North Texas. Volunteer will be asked to teach participants about the geologic features in Oak Point Park & Nature Preserve (oxbow formation & Austin chalk formation) and the geology of North Texas.
- Kayaking - for future programming
Volunteers should be at least 21 years old and skilled in at least one outdoor activity. Instructors can work with Outdoor Adventure staff to schedule courses, which may include weekdays, weekends, evenings, and seasonal.
If you have a special Outdoor Adventure skill and would like to teach a class in that area, please contact Rebecca Finberg at 972-941-7627 or RFinberg@plano.gov.
- Age Category Must be at least Adult
- Criminal Background Check Completed Must be at least Yes