Attorney with Immigration Legal Services
Are you a licensed attorney with a compassionate heart for immigrant justice? Help honor the dignity and contributions of our new immigrant neighbors by volunteering with the Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services (ILS) team! ILS provides urgently needed legal assistance to foreign‐born, vulnerable individuals and their families living in the Washington, D.C. area. ILS pro bono attorneys greatly increase ILS’ impact by assisting low-income clients in seeking legal relief for which they are eligible.
Attorneys assist clients with applications for asylum, relief from removal, U Visas, T Visas, VAWA petitions and more. Volunteer attorneys receive training and mentoring to help them succeed in their pro bono immigration cases.
Heed the call to action from the Attorney General, Judiciary, and Bar Association! Welcome new neighbors with love and compassion, while receiving credit for pro bono hours at the same time!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attorneys will be responsible for representing low-income immigrants in their immigration cases and seeing their cases through to conclusion
- Active bar license and good standing with state bar
Desired Skills, Experience & Characteristics:
- Conscientious and pro-active in representing clients’ interests
- Organized, capable, and compassionate
- Substantive legal experience, preferably in immigration, administrative, or trial law
- The opportunity to help deserving immigrant clients
- Training, mentoring, and professional development in the area of immigration law
- Involvement in a network of professionals committed to serving those in need
- Pro bono hours to report to your state bar
- Catholic Charities will provide Malpractice insurance
- Mentorship for attorneys new to immigration law
- Interpreters available
- Monthly trainings on immigration law topics
- Time commitment will vary depending on the type of case. Some immigration cases may take years before they are completed
- In professional’s own office and volunteer attorneys are welcome to meet with clients in our office
COVID-19 Precautions: During COVID-19, our offices are and our volunteer attorneys are generally working with their clients remotely
- Sept. 15: Fill out an application.
- Sept. 8 – Sept. 24: Matching Expectations conversation with Catholic Charities staff.
- Oct. 1: Find out if you’ve been selected for the role.
- Oct. 1 – Oct. 22: Attend virtual Volunteer Orientation and complete screenings.
- Late October: Begin volunteering!