Supporting Adult Service Participants - Haldimand Norfolk Community Breastfeeding Buddies
- Breastfed at least one child for at least six months within the last 5 years.
- Successful interview, reference and police records check
- Available to attend an initial 3 day training and one workshop in the year provided by Public Health of approximately two hours long
- Good communication and people skills
- Has a telephone
- Capable of completing documentation and willing to submit monthly reports
VOLUNTEER RESPONSIBILITES OVERVIEW
A breastfeeding buddy volunteer (BBV) will be contacted by the volunteer coordinator (VC) when a request is received and the BBV will be given the opportunity to accept the proposed match.
If both the service participant and BBV agree to the match, the VC will forward the completed Service Participant Request Form to the BBV. The service participant will be contacted and told the first name and one or more contact phone numbers for the assigned BBV. Ideally, the timing of this will be in the prenatal period.
The BBV will call text or Skype/Facetime the service participant, depending on the preference identified on the service participant Request Form. If the match is made prenatally, the BBV will ideally contact the service participant at least twice during her pregnancy by phone to initiate contact and build a relationship. If the match is made after the birth, the BBV will call the service participant within 24 hours of receiving the service participant’s intake information. If matched prenatally, the BBV and service participant will make a plan of when the next phone call will occur throughout the remainder of the pregnancy and after the birth.
At this first contact, the BBV will develop a plan for future contact with the service participant which will include:
- Preferred method of communication, confirm contact information of BBV and service participant
- Time frame for contact
- Frequency of communication, best times (if applicable)/availability
- If phone messages are acceptable
The exact calling pattern will be determined by the service participant and BBV. Depending on the needs of the service participant, there may be times when they initiate contact.
- Breastfeeding Experience Must be •Breastfed at least one child for at least six months within the last 5 years.