For Ages at least 15 not yet 20 years of age by the start of the Academy.
Year Long Academy runs from January-December.
Applications are accepted in November. Open house/sign up for the academy is scheduled in November.
- To provide interested young people exposure to careers in public safety and the humane treatment of animals, with opportunities to grow personally and professionally through a program of community service.
- To provide young people with the necessary knowledge and skills of animal care and control services, as they pertain to serving the public as animal care professionals.
- To provide a climate emphasizing leadership and responsibility.
- Be at least (15) and not yet (20) years of age by start of the academy.
- Have a clean police record and good citizenship record.
- Maintain at least a "C" grade average at school.
- Be willing to devote necessary time to attend monthly meetings, assist with emergencies and participate in several community projects/events.
- Have a desire to work in an animal related field.
Meetings are held at our shelter Education Center from 5:00pm-6:30pm monthly. Parents are encouraged to join the Explorer Adult Committee and are welcome to attend/participate in monthly meetings. Parents may be asked to assist with transportation, supervising, fundraising, conducting meetings and/or other requests of the Explorer Post Leadership.
There is a $33 one-time registration fee to participate in the Explorer Academy.
EXPLORER POST #872, B.S.A. * Chartered 1975