World Sport Chicago is an independent, non-profit organization that teaches positive values and leadership through sport. The organization acts on the belief that sport has the power to strengthen individuals, and in turn, Chicago’s communities. World Sport Chicago promotes programs and events and collaborates with several community partners, public agencies and Chicago’s professional sports teams to deliver impact and change.
World Sport Chicago has a unique history as the living legacy of Chicago’s bid for the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games. The organization has evolved substantially since the bid. However, the collaborative spirit that drove those efforts remains central to the work of World Sport Chicago.
The mission of World Sport Chicago is to promote the development of sustainable sports programming that improves the quality of life for under-served youth in Chicago and at-risk communities. World Sport Chicago does this by:
- Teaching life-enhancing values and character development through sport
- Leveraging on-going sport programs and events to engage families and strengthen communities
- Directing resources and technical expertise to communities of need for high-quality and sustainable programming
- Sharing practices and innovations to develop thought leadership on the positive impact of sport
- Advocating sport-for-all, regardless of physical and visual abilities