Education - Summer Camp Assistant 2020
Purpose: Summer Camp volunteers assist Camp Leaders to prepare and conduct outdoor, hands-on, activity-based camps at VanDusen Botanical Garden. Camp programs are designed to foster inquiry, discovery, understanding and appreciation for nature, and the importance of plants in our lives.
- Assist Camp Leaders to conduct nature-based activities for groups of children aged 5-10
- Assist Camp Leaders in providing a fun, welcoming, safe, and secure environment for all campers
- Assist in preparing and cleaning up from the day’s activities
Skills, Attitudes, Knowledge Required:
- A love of nature and respect for the environment
- Comfortable working with children aged 5-10
- Patient, positive, flexible, and fun-loving
- Comfortable standing, walking, and kneeling throughout the shift
- Must pass a criminal record background check (free for volunteers)
- Eager to spend time outdoors in any weather
- An opportunity to inspire and educate children
- Enhance leadership , group management, and interpretive skills
- Opportunity to work with educational professionals in a well-respected non-profit
- Contribute your time and talents in an impactful way for a worthwhile cause
- Learn about nature including ecology, botany, sustainability, gardening, and more
Summer camp operates for 8 weeks from June 29th to August 21st, 2020. Weekly camp themes vary. Volunteers can choose from the following (at minimum):
- Work EVERY morning or afternoon from 8:45am-12:45pm or 12:30-4:30pm for one week
- Work a full day of camp from 8:45am-4:15pm for one week
Training and Orientation:
- A mandatory training session will take place on June 23rd from 4:30pm to 8:00pm.
Supervisory Relationships/liaison: Candidate will be supervised by, and liaise with, the camp leaders, the Youth Programs Manager and the Director of Education.
Authority/Decision Making: Guidance and problem solving involving children requires direct supervision from camp leaders.