Status: Volunteer Opportunity
Commitment: 5-8 hours per month, 2-year term, option to renew
Location: Tri-Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody) and surrounding areas
Would you like to volunteer your organizational and leadership skills to help us make personal development accessible to all? At Low Entropy, we understand that real change starts from within; when we seek compassion and emotional intelligence for ourselves, we extend this low entropy state to the wider world around us.
Low Entropy is a registered charity with a mission to elevate humanity through the power of compassionate, authentic communities. Our programs foster transformational impact by empowering people through personal growth and meaningful interpersonal connections. Our current offerings include providing employment services, events for seniors, supporting youth through Art Therapy, and providing food hampers to those struggling with food insecurity.
Located in the Tri-Cities, Low Entropy seeks to build connections and work with local stakeholders to create the future of our community. In 2023, we will be hosting collaborative community events to work towards this goal, as well as launching our Thrift & Fund store to support our programs. In addition, we are actively seeking to become a provider of affordable housing.
To maintain our growth and continue supporting adults, youth & children, we are looking for volunteers to govern our organization on our Board of Directors. The Board is responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring strategies and policies that will enable Low Entropy to meet its goals and carry out its work.
What is the Opportunity?
We are seeking six committed individuals with a passion for our work to join as volunteer members of our Board of Directors for a 2-year term.
You are committed and have expertise in at least one of these priority skill areas:
- Government Relations
- Legal/Risk Management
- Public Relations
- Strategic Planning
- Nonprofit Management
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility
- Fundraising and Events
- Affordable Housing
In addition to serving on the Board of Directors and providing strategic governance to Low Entropy, a Director at Large promotes Low Entropy’s objectives and goals by providing leadership to assigned projects, committees, and activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership for Low Entropy and assure that it maintains its focus on its primary • mission and objectives
- Prepare for, and attend, all Board meetings and participate independently and knowledgeably in all deliberations of the Board. Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
- Participate actively in at least one committee and in the development of terms of references for the committee
- Approve material business decisions
- Stay informed of and meet all legal and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Ensure that performance measures and targets are established that are both realistic and challenging and that they are monitored and delivered
- Develop collegial working relationships with other Board and committee members that contributes to consensus.
- Actively participate in the Board and committee's annual evaluation and planning efforts.
- Participate in fundraising and volunteer events for Low Entropy
Qualifications and Experiences Needed:
- Experience in leading organizations or cross-functional teams preferably with some experience in the non-profit sector.
- Demonstrated business acumen, knowledge, and experience in one or more key functional areas such as Fundraising, Communications/Public Relations, Human Resources, and Law.
- Board of Directors experience is a plus
- Able to navigate complex challenges and deal with ambiguity
- Strong interpersonal skills networking abilities able to create collaborative relationships with government and like-minded organizations
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational, and personal skills.
- Demonstrated change and project management skills and the ability to delegate
- Able to manage vision and purpose
- Action oriented
- Operates with integrity
Time Commitment: 5-8 hours per month for Board Meetings, committee meetings, and Low Entropy events. Some meetings will be held in-person and others remotely.