ADHB Starship- Pet Programme
Pet Programme volunteers facilitate the visits of patients' pets into the Starship Hospital. "Ella's Pet Centre" areas are held in the Starship Atrium (summer months) and in the Ronald Macdonald Family Room (winter months). Pets may be brought into Starship Hospital for a variety of reasons including:
- to visit a patient who is in hospital for more than a month and is missing his/her personal pet
- to visit a patient who has been referred by the palliative care team or where nursing staff consider there are exceptional circumstances and a child may benefit from a visit with their personal pet.
Volunteers need to:
- be comfortable around animals
- have previous recent experience with children
- be tactful, sensitive, non judgmental and mature
- be comfortable in a hospital setting
- be organised and confident
- be able to deal with stress.
PM 01.30 - 03.00 (Wednesday's)