COVID-19 Updates: Aug. 26, 2020
With COVID-19 continuing to spread within our community, Manna Food Project will operate in a similar manner as previous months, proceeding with utmost caution.
As you know, Manna provides supplemental and emergency food throughout Antrim, Charlevoix, and Emmet counties. If one of our staff members or volunteers is exposed, our operations would likely shut down, meaning thousands of families could be without food. This, along with the fact that many people who enter our building are seniors and at special risk of infection, means that we will continue to take this health threat very seriously.
Here are the latest updates that will be in effect until further notice.
- Each volunteer is required to wear a mask, have their temperature taken, and fill out a screening form upon entry to our facility.
- A new electronic sign-in system will be in operation by end of August, which will replace the paper sign-in sheets. This system uses our new software, Volunteer Impact, and your volunteer usernames. Jessyca will assist anyone who needs help signing in.
- We encourage those at special risk of COVID-19 complications (people over 60, with compromised immune systems, or pre-existing conditions) to consider the potential risks of volunteering and use caution.
- Group volunteering will not yet return to pre-COVID status, and schedules will be adjusted to meet changing needs.
- Groups will be limited to no more than 6 individuals, including children.
- Groups will not arrive immediately before or after other groups to give staff time to clean.Groups may be asked to sanitize an area after use in order to assist staff.
Manna Community Food Pantry:
- Manna's on-site food pantry will continue to operate as an outside, curbside service into the early fall.
- Only 2 volunteers are needed for each pantry: 1 for registration, and 1 for loading.
- Food Rescue will continue to be suspended through August. After September 1, we will re-evaluate the risks and update our supporters with any decisions. Stay tuned.
"Food 4 Kids" Backpack Program:
- Our new pre-labeled backpack items will drastically reduce the number of volunteers needed for this program and reduce further food contact.
- Packing backpacks began in August. We will proceed with a slow integration of individuals volunteers and small groups as needed.
Stay informed! Subscribe to our volunteer email newsletter. You can also follow Manna's Facebook page and website for news.