Inspire people so they leave appreciating and admiring the natural world around them by supporting us within the Notice Nature Feel Joy gallery.
The Museum & Art Gallery is open from Tuesday to Sunday. We hope you can give at least a couple of hours of your time to maximise your experience. Working with you to accommodate your preferences and availability.
This role takes place primarily in Notice Nature Feel Joy gallery at the Museum and Art Gallery, although Object Walks can happen across all galleries.
What you may be doing:
- Interact with people around the museum to share your passion, knowledge, enthusiasm or curiosity for the nature based collections - at times use our handling collections to inspire visitors!
- Be an attentive ear. Learning with and from visitors, helping Derby Museums become a better civic site. Engaging with curious visitors through sharing knowledge, curiosities, anecdotes, personal favourites, hidden features, co-production insight and other unexpected delights.
- Join the team in making sure all areas are clean and tidy, ensuring all spaces are welcoming, safe and ready for visitors.
- Promote activities, fundraising initiatives, events, and commercial events – acting as ambassadors for Derby Museums.
- Be there for people. Proactively looking out for those who need assistance or guidance.
This role may be for you if you are:
- Friendly, helpful, and love talking to people and listening to their stories
- Wanting to engage and communicate with others and share knowledge, passion, enthusiasm and/or curiosity for the natural collections
- Aware and sensitive towards the approach of the gallery – one that welcomes discussion, sharing and empathy
- Intrigued and excited to know more
- Someone who takes pride and is enthusiastic for Derby and Derby Museums.
This role can be combined with:
- public programming activities such as Tours or Lifelong learning activities
- gallery making
- co-produced activities
- temporary exhibition support
Share with us any areas of personal interest that you want to develop, along with your existing experience, to work with you to create an enriching and meaningful role.
We will provide you with training to ensure you feel happy, safe and confident in your role. Get an introduction to the spaces, people and the role by attending our site volunteer introductions.
Count on our Visitor Experience Assistant Team and Site Managers to be your point of contact once in place. The Co-production Volunteering Programme team, Pippa and Hope, manage your overall volunteering experience. Supporting you with Wellness Action Plans and/or Goal Setting Plans to discuss any physical, mental health or vocational needs or goals.