Interns Only - Health and Performance Internship
This is an Unpaid Internship Opportunity
Health and Performance Internship
This internship will provide the student a unique experience, within a hybrid setting of strength and conditioning and community recreation. Located at The Beacon Rec Center in southeast Arlington (1100 Mansfield Webb Road, Arlington, TX. 76002), interns will learn about a variety of health and wellness areas such as exercise physiology, youth motor development, athletic performance, speed and plyometric training, group fitness, personal training, recreation programs, and more. Students will be able to gain invaluable hands-on experience that will be supplemented by a once a week classroom to teach best-practices and theory.
The goals of the internship are that by the end of the program, the student should be equipped with knowledge of practical application to train different populations, how to market themselves, business operations, and immerse themselves in community services.
• Fall Internship 2020 (13 weeks): August 31st – Dec 5th,
• Spring Internship 2021 (14 weeks): January 25th – May 1st
• Summer Internship 2021 (12 weeks): May 24th – August 14th
• Pursuing a Bachelors (or completing coursework) in exercise science, kinesiology, youth pedagogy, or health related field
• Preferred experience in teaching, coaching or health related field
• Possess good communication, punctuality, and customer service skills
• Competent – Microsoft Office & Excel, basic camera functions, social media tools
• Ability to pick up, push, pull, or move equipment in excess of 50 lbs.
• Frequent walking, running, jumping, demonstrating and assisting with exercises; squatting, hinging, push, pull, and carry movements.
• Ability to work both indoors and outdoors
Day-to-day tasks and responsibilities:
• Observe, cue, and motivate members in a morale, safe, legal manner
• Assist and be involved with fitness programs inclusive of: Prehab, RAMP, Speed, Strength, Power, Flexibility, and Metabolic Conditioning.
• Creatively engage with youth to promote nurturing motor function development
• Update fitness records and member training reports, assist fitness staff with consultations, help create social media material, supplement fitness video library
• Learn about rec center setup and closing including outside studio, weight room, cardio room, fitness studio, gymnasium, and walking track.
• Learn about rec programs, community events, and shadow front desk
• Always follow City of Arlington policies and procedures, as well as those individually practiced at assigned rec center.
• 3-6 positions available for each internship season (Fall, Spring, Summer)
• Workdays & times are scheduled by shifts, seasonal need and can include weekends. Typical shifts comprise of an average 5 hours per day, 3-5x per week, but do not exceed 29 hours per week. Hours are subject to change based on time of year and number of programming needs in the rec center.
• Minimum hours per week required are 20 with a range of 20-29 depending on applicant needs. Schedule is flexible to allow for other obligations.
• Each internship season requires a minimum of 12 weeks and may vary up to 14 weeks depending on semester length.
• All interns are responsible for all initial and exiting travel arrangements and miscellaneous expenses and meals.
• All candidates must pass a background screening prior to starting the internship.
Fitness and Wellness Coordinator, The Beacon Rec Center
How to Apply
Please apply online at https://www.arlingtontx.gov/city_hall/jobs_and_volunteering/volunteer_opportunities and select internships. From there select Unpaid Internships and locate the listing for Health and Performance Intern. Please notify the above contact person once you’ve completed the application. Also, please submit a resume and cover letter to the above contact person.
If you need assistance with completing the application, please reach out to Human Resources at 817-459-6869.