Food Bagging - MLK Day of Service Food Bagging
MLK Day of Service - SHARE Food Bagging
Observing the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. federal holiday through service is a way to begin each year with a commitment to making your community a better place. MLK Day is the only federal holiday designated as a national day of service to encourage all Americans to volunteer to improve their communities. Your service honors Dr. King's life and teachings and helps meet community challenges.
Thousands of families count on SHARE each month for affordable, nutritious groceries that are sold through volunteer-run locations throughout the Washington metropolitan area.
Join us to bag dry food items such as potatoes, rice, and onions in preparation for our monthly food distribution. This is a great service opportunity for families, teens, and groups of volunteers! Join us for an experience that is fun and rewarding while making a difference in your community.
- Following CDC recommendations, we suggest all volunteers be between the ages of 18 and 65 years of age. High school students can participate if accompanied by an adult and they bring a Parent Guardian Waiver.
- Pass health screening conversation 24 hours before service
- Helpful and cooperative with a calm demeanor
- Able to follow directions and maintain a safe environment
- Able to stand for ~3 hours and lift ~20 pounds at a time
- Wear tennis shoes or work boots
Safety Measures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19:
- Register online for a shift
- Wear mask or face cover – bring your own
- Wear gloves (provided)
- Occupy a marked space, maintain physical distance
- Follow staff/safety monitor’s instructions
- SHARE Warehouse, 3222 Hubbard Road Landover, MD 20785
- Parking is available at the warehouse, park near the office entrance