Digital Mentor-'Be Connected' Program
Help older people to navigate the online world. This is a great chance to gain practical experience and make a positive difference in your local community.
Provide one on one technology support to older people as part of the Be Connected training program at Living & Learning Nillumbik. This role focuses on encouraging participants to be connected online, build their basic technology skills and knowledge, and assist them to problem solve in using their digital devices.
Volunteers can nominate their preferred location from this list:
Living & Learning Nillumbik – Panton Hill, Eltham and Diamond Creek Centres, Hurstbridge Community Hub or Wadambuk St Andrew’s Community Centre.
Volunteers may also operate remotely via telephone or video conferencing.
Volunteers may participate in outreach events off site at retirement villages or other venues in and around Nillumbik.
- Complete the Be Connected training and induction program and attend meetings as required
- Provide a safe and friendly one on one learning environment
- Structure learning to specifically accommodate the needs of the participant
- Point the participant to appropriate Be Connected online learning modules and encourage their completion at home if possible
- Support the participant to complete the required number of online activities to fulfil grant requirements
- Be punctual and inform staff in advance if you are unable to attend
- Update participant activities in CaptureIT and ensure face to face participants complete sign in sheet
- Enter required data into the volunteer management database, myvolunteerpage.com
Centre Coordinator/Program Coordinator
1-3 hours per week during business hours
- Competent use of computers, smart devices, email and Microsoft software
- An understanding of the internet, its varied functions and how to problem solve
- Excellent communication and organisation skills
- Ability to be patient, providing instruction in a way that is easy to understand
- Ability to work autonomously with a participant
Compulsory organisational induction, training and specific task training will be provided. All Living & Learning Nillumbik volunteer supervisors encourage an open door communication environment for volunteers to ask any questions or raise any concerns
- Police Check
- Two reference checks