Employment Readiness & Training Programs - Computer Lab Volunteer
Got computer skills? Help adults with barriers to employment build effective online job-search skills.
PPL's Career Center offers a computer lab open to the public for career-related activities. Lab Volunteers give 1:1 support to adults learning basic computer skills, offering guidance as they search for employment & educational opportunities online.
Location & Schedule:
- PPL Career Center, 1021 East Franklin Ave., Mpls 55404
- Flexible 2-3 hour shifts (weekly) between 9 am - 4 pm, M - F
- Current available shifts:
- Monday, 9 AM - 12 PM
- Monday, 1 - 4 PM
- Tuesday, 9 AM - 12 PM
- Tuesday, 1 - 4 PM
- Thursday, 1 - 4 PM
- Friday, 1 - 4 PM
- On-call and substitute volunteers
****All shifts are generally flexible (please contact for more info)
- Orient new participants to lab policies, software, and accessibility tools
- Teach adults basic computer skills
- Help with online job search and email setup
- Coach on self-presentation: offer advice on resumes, cover letters, and professionalism
- Direct adults to resources: housing, education, childcare, etc.
- Assist with specials projects and lab maintenance
- Remind participants of lab rules and help maintain professional environment
- Training and guidance from program staff
- Hands-on experience working with diverse adults in a community setting
- Opportunity to empower others by sharing your skills and knowledge
- Proficient at Microsoft Word, internet search, and general computer knowledge
- Interest in working with adults of diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds
- Able to proactively engage and assist adults
- Proficiency in Somali or other languages desired but NOT required
- Experience working with immigrant populations desired
Contact Angie at 612-455-5306 or email@example.com to learn more or set up an interview. The application process includes references and a background check.