Humane Education Volunteer Team
GOAL FOR THIS ROLE
Our Humane Education Volunteer Team plays a vital role in representing the Ontario SPCA and Humane Society in schools and the local communities we support across the province.
This is a flexible role that gives you the chance to get involved in lots of different activities.
Each activity helps to raise awareness and fosters empathy, promotes a sense of responsibility, and inspires connection with animals and the environment.
As this is a varied role, you might get involved in any, or all, of the following:
Delivering presentations (30-75 minutes in length) primarily to local schools, however, this could be extended to community groups.
The content for presentations will cover the Ontario SPCA mission and reflect humane education`s goal to inspire compassion, empathy, and respect for all animals.
Attend community events hosted by the organization or other community partners, as a representative of the Ontario SPCA, for example hosting an information booth at a local event or activity.
Raising awareness of our work by utilizing your personal and professional contacts.
- Positive role model
- Have a good working knowledge of PowerPoint, Google Classroom, and other presentation software
- Ability to clearly communicate instructions to participants
- Enjoy working with youth
- Ability to stand for periods of time and comfortable conversing with the public
- Desire to learn more about animal well-being and our Humane Education programs
- Ability to provide a clear Vulnerable Sector Clearance - interacting and engaging with children
- A vehicle in good working order will be required for this role
- Previous teaching, presenting or experience working in a school setting would be helpful
- Directly impact your local and global community by empowering participants to discover their empathy for animals and their environment, while inspiring a deep connection to animals
- Make like-minded friends
- Behind the scenes access to our animal
- Access to our knowledgeable staff and wellness resources
- Ability to customize your schedule, choose your assignments and update your profile, through our online community
We recognize the time contribution of being a volunteer. Therefore, we support a customized approach to your schedule to best suit your availability.
During our onboarding process, we will capture your time preferences and availability. We are always looking for individuals who are dependable and responsible.
This role is flexible, each volunteer will be travelling within their local community, with a focus of presenting to schools.
Anywhere from eight to twenty hours a month is expected for this role.
*Mileage reimbursement is NOT available for this role; therefore, we do our very best to schedule presentations within a 25km radius of your community.
Orientation and Training
Before you start your journey with us, our organization will provide you with the following training:
- Ontario SPCA and Humane Society orientation- in-person and online training
- Animal Advocacy training with a Humane Educator
- How to access our online communities
We will indicate which training will be required prior to your commencement, and which training we encourage you to participate in at your earliest convenience.
You will be fully briefed before any event you are asked to attend.
Supervision and Support
As a Humane Education Volunteer, you will be supported by Ontario SPCA Humane Education staff.
This staff partner will provide you with training for your specific role, your schedule, and any required administration, feedback or updates.
The Volunteer Development Team will always be available to offer support and guidance.
You will also have direct access to our online communities, where you can find organizational updates, and contact information for your staff partners.