Research and Admin Support Volunteers assist the Heritage Site Manager to research, interpret, and communicate the history of Wolston Farmhouse and its collection, to ensure the significance of the site and its surrounding area are understood.
This role would suit those with an avid interest in research, in particular historical research, and would be particularly suited to university students undertaking degrees in Arts, Museum Studies, or Cultural Heritage degrees.
WHAT ARE THE TASKS?
- Undertake historical research of the site, the Farmhouse, and the collection,
- Produce interpretive and didactic materials to contribute to the collection’s display and interpretation,
- Produce scripts for tours, and contribute to the development of the Education Program materials,
- Liaise with First Nations Education Officer to facilitate research on the site’s Indigenous history,
- Communicate clearly with the Heritage Site Manager and other NTAQ staff about potential issues, hazards, or disruptions to guest experiences, or risks to the property or collection,
- Pending ability, we may also request that you assist with other duties such as tidying, reporting maintenance issues, and other light domestic and administrative tasks.
WHAT SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS DO I NEED?
- Experience undertaking historical research, such as university study, and the ability to communicate research to a diverse audience,
- The ability to be polite and respectful towards fellow NTAQ staff and volunteers, and guests to the property,
- Confidence in working independently as well as in a team,
- Be physically able to perform the role outlined, or communicate useful accommodations and adjustments to the Heritage Site Manager
- Demonstrate a willingness to adapt, adhere to new policies and procedures, and undertake any associated training,
- Agree to comply with all company policies and procedures,
- Have basic computer literacy and access to email communications,
- Be committed to representing the values and supporting the causes of the NTAQ.
WHEN CAN I VOLUNTEER?
We request a commitment of at least 1 x five-hour shift each week, subject to operational requirements. This includes a morning tea and lunch break during your shift. Induction and training will be provided.
Shifts: Shift times will be determined by the availability of the Heritage Site Manager, and will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.