Opportunities - LiveRx Patient Advisory Group
LiveRx Patient Advisory Group
University of Calgary (LiveRx program)
Hepatitis C (HCV) is a virus that infects up to 1 in 100 Albertans leading to serious liver complications including cirrhosis and liver cancer. Available treatments cure over 95% of people infected with HCV. However, equitable access to HCV cure is not available to many Albertans, as current care models are based on referrals to specialists. Access is particularly challenging for Indigenous individuals, people living in rural areas, and those from marginalized/stigmatized groups.
The LiveRx project aims to improve access to HCV screening and treatment by taking a new approach, based on partnerships between pharmacists and community-based organizations (CBOs). LiveRx will shift HCV care to the community, meeting patients where they are at, and better serving those that traditionally experience barriers to care.
The purpose of the Patient Advisory Group is to actively involve a group of people with lived experience of Hepatitis C to use their lived experience to educate the project team, pharmacists, CBOs and other stakeholders and improve the LiveRx program.
The Live Rx Patient Advisory Group will:
- provide advice to guide LiveRx activities
- review procedures and initiatives from a patient and family perspective
- make recommendations to improve patient care in collaboration with health care providers
- provide key information and advice on barriers to seeking treatment from a patient perspective and make suggestions on how to get people to participate in treatment
- encourage public participation between those receiving health services (treatment, support) and leaders, staff, and health care providers.
More about LiveRx can be found here: https://www.epicore.ualberta.ca/liverx/
Roles and Responsibilities
We are seeking people with lived experience of hepatitis C, family members, and caregivers to participate in the LiveRx Patient Advisory Group. Members will be expected to participate in 1-hour online meetings 4-6 times per year and help
- provide input on a patient decision aid about hepatitis C treatment
- provide input on training modules to ensure LiveRx participants are well prepared to meet the needs of people risk or or infected with hepatitis C
- recommend patient recruitment strategies, including the process of engaging patients through community based organizations and when/how/where to initiate services
- develop the evaluation of patient experience, understanding findings and informing strategies to address findings and improve outcomes for those living with hepatitis C
- maintain confidentiality in all forms of communication
- be willing to listen, share ideas and feedback with the goal of improving quality of healthcare services
If desired, members may also provide feedback through 1-1 discussions with project team members and/or by email.
This project is anticipated to start in February 2022
Online meetings will be expected to last 1 hour each and will be held approximately 4-6 times per year for 3 years. Meetings will be held by Zoom or teleconference.
Meetings will be held online so there are no travel or other expenses associated with this opportunity.
An honorarium of $25/meeting (pre-paid gift cards) will be provided to advisory council members in appreciation for their time.
For more information or to apply please connect with:
Leanne Reeb April Calliou