Opportunities - Sexually Transmitted and Blood Borne Infections (STBBI) Services Online Platform
Sexually Transmitted and Blood Borne Infections (STBBI) Services Online Platform
Alberta Health Services
Rates of sexually transmitted and blood borne infections (STBBI) continue to rise in Alberta.
- In 2020, despite reduced access to testing during COVID-19, there were over 2,500 cases of infectious syphilis reported in Alberta. This is a rate 13 times higher than 2014 and has not been seen since the 1940’s.
- In response to the sharply rising sexually transmitted infection (STI) rates, the provincial STI program has worked with many partners and stakeholders to increase awareness and enhance responsiveness through additional resource allocation and adopting innovative strategies.
- An Alberta STBBI online platform is a novel strategy that can offer increased access to STBBI testing and timely treatment across that province, outside of traditional clinic settings, for clients who face barriers to STBBI care. This strategy will contribute to better STI outbreak control and help reduce STBBI rates in Alberta.
Objectives of the Project
- To facilitate rapid diagnosis, treatment and subsequent partner notification to limit the spread of STBBIs
- To increase capacity of the Provincial STI Program by providing an innovative, client-centred option for testing
- To increase access to people that face barriers to STBBI testing.
Roles and Responsibilities
We are looking for patient and community members from diverse socio-economic backgrounds and with experience living in rural areas.
Partners will be asked to join an online 1.5 hour discussion group. There will also be a call-in option for those with internet access challenges.
We will be asking for input on:
- Current challenges to accessing healthcare in rural areas of Alberta
- The acceptability of using an online platform to improve access to STBBI testing and treatment
- Anticipated barriers and facilitators (things that might make it easier) to using this online service
We would like to host the first 1.5 hour online discussion group between March 7-14, 2022.
If this project becomes funded, opportunites will be offered for to provide further contributions.
A pre-paid $50 Tim Hortons or Walmart gift card will be offered for time and contribution to the March 2022 discussion group.
For more information or to apply please connect with: