Summary: Create a memorable and educational experience for visitors by sharing the history and interesting facts of the Formal Gardens or Mansion.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Be familiar with Allerton facts and history
- Lead tours for Allerton Visitors
- Answer visitor questions about the estate during the tour
- Know your audience and get to know the group you are touring
- Assist with training of future tour guides
- Attend a General Information session for new volunteers (virtual or in-person)
- Read books, handouts, and online resources of the history and facts of Robert Allerton, his estate, and the art and gardens within it
- Shadow at least 3 tours in your area of interest (Mansion, Formal Gardens) led by an experienced tour guide
- Take and pass a tour guide quiz in your area of interest (Mansion, Formal Gardens)
- Lead your own tour, shadowed by an experienced tour guide
- Sign and return Volunteer Waiver & Release form
- Log hours on MyImpact Portal
- 1-hour General Information session for new volunteers
- Most tours last about 1 hour. During special events, you may lead 2-3 tours.
- Complete your training at your own pace; however, most tour guides are fully trained within a month depending on available tours to shadow/lead.