Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Clinic - VITA Welcome Specialist
VITA Welcome Specialist
Catholic Charities manages an IRS-sponsored Voluntary Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site. The site provides tax return preparation (at no cost) for low- and moderate-income families from February 1 through April 15.
Welcome Specialists are the first people clients of VITA meet. Volunteers assist clients with uploading their tax documents and other personal information into IRS cloud-based software. Welcome Specialists will communicate with taxpayers to make sure all their documents have been sent to our VITA site. No tax expertise necessary!
Volunteers will be responsible for:
- Communicating with taxpayers via phone and email.
- Uploading taxpayers' documents into an IRS cloud-based software
- Ensuring that the documents received via email are legible
- Communicating with other VITA staff and volunteers when the task is completed
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Able to use the IRS Cloud-based tax software (The Catholic Charities VITA site provides training sessions on this software)
- Pass a simple online IRS ethics exam
Desired Skills, Experiences, and Characteristics:
- Clear verbal communication skills
- Friendly attitude
- Comfortable troubleshooting minor technology issues
- Make a positive difference in the economic lives of the taxpayers you work with
- The taxpayers who take advantage of the Catholic Charities VITA are always appreciative of the time and energy of volunteers
- Volunteer remotely
- Volunteers are supported by Catholic Charities staff, senior volunteers in the program, and professionals from the Columbus School of Law who provide training and administrate resources.
- Volunteers are required to attend a virtual training session.
- The Virtual VITA site is open from February 1 – April 15. Volunteers are asked to commit 20 hours during this time frame.
- Due Dec 31: Fill out an application
- December: Hear from staff about training schedule for January
- January: Attend trainings for VITA clinic
- February 1: Begin volunteering!