Youth Mentor (Age 13-18+)
Youth Mentors (age 13-18+) work towards the safety and well-being of children and youth by providing opportunities for socialization and development of better life skills. Youth Mentors are ‘walk alongside’ cheerleaders and are positive role models who can assist with schoolwork, job searching, helping to complete post-secondary education applications and just being a friend.
Commitment: In order to provide regular and consistent visits, we ask for an 8-month minimum commitment. Once a week, up to 3 hrs per week. Flexibly based on your and the client's schedule.
- Act as a special friend and/to provide support, advocacy and guidance and a listening ear
- Be a positive, reliable, respectful role model
- Visit the child/youth on a regular, consistent basis and on agreed upon dates and times
- Assist with, if appropriate, simple life skills such as shopping, cooking, budgeting, schoolwork, etc.
- Report issues and concerns to F&CS staff
- Complete and submit monthly logs and expenses
- Always maintain confidentiality
- Always maintain boundaries and a professional relationship and understand that you are representative of F&CS
- Vulnerable Sector Check (police check) and internal agency record check
- Carrying a cell phone is recommended
- Working within the policies, procedures, and practices of F&CS
- Attend orientation or training sessions
- Knowledge that what you are doing can make a difference for a child or young person
- Develop helping skills
- Reimbursement for expenses and KM’s (if using personal vehicle for transporting child/youth)
- Opportunities to connect with other volunteers
- Appreciation for your hard work
- Enhanced knowledge of child welfare work; help with career direction/choices
- Receive letters of reference for employment or as part of graduate school applications
- Access to a variety of training for example, De-escalation Skills
Staff Support: Volunteers in this role are support by the assigned agency worker and Coordinator of Volunteer Resources.
You would be a good fit for this role if you are:
- Like and enjoy being around children
- Enjoy a variety of people and have a positive outlook
- Patient and have empathy for others
- Understanding that last minute changes or cancelations can occur for a variety of reasons
- Welcoming and passionate about supporting family wellbeing in our community
- Have problem solving skills
For more information contact:
Coordinator of Volunteer Resources, 519-824-2410x 4438 or email@example.com