Virtual Volunteering - Short Editions Writer
Are you looking for a unique way of sharing your original stories with the community? San José Public Library is looking for enthusiastic and creative teen writers to write short fiction for our new Short Édition short story dispensers and online collection to share with visitors and our local community.
How You Will Make a Difference
Library volunteers play a pivotal role in encouraging San José library users of all ages to discover new stories and through them new experiences and understanding. Your main goal is to build our collection of short stories written by local authors for our Short Édition dispensers and our online collection via Biblioboard.
Volunteers are needed to:
- Write a short story that is no more than 8000 characters long.
- Communicate with library staff contact about content and when short stories are submitted.
- Submit your story using the Short Édition link on the sjpl.org website.
- Develop your writing skills
- Become a published author
- Connect with your community
- Share your talent and gain experience publishing your own stories
- Community service hours (for a maximum of 10 short stories):
- 1-minute story (2600 characters or less) = 2 hours
- 3-minute story (2600-4800 characters) = 3 hours
- 5-minute story (4800-8000 characters) = 5 hours
Schedule is dependent on the availability of the volunteer.
Prospective volunteers should:
- Be able to fully commit to the activity
- Meet agreed upon deadlines
- Age Must be at least 13+
- Virtual Volunteer Training Completed Must be Yes