Outpatient Care - Goose Rescue
Goose Rescue Volunteer
Reports to: Goose Rescue Team Leads & Outpatient Care Staff
Purpose of Position
The Goose Rescue program is a seasonal program that operates annually from April to June during the busy Canada Goose nesting season. The program involves the safe capture and immediate release of goose families that have become trapped on buildings, rooftop gardens and other man-made structures by a specialized team of volunteers.
This program aligns with the Outpatient Care mission to Prevent, Educate and Respond to Wildlife in Distress.
Focus of this Position:
1. To assist Canada goose families who have nested in areas where the goslings have become trapped on a rooftop and cannot escape without intervention.
2. To provide minimal disturbance and interference to the goose families by providing an immediate release to ground level or to the nearest water source
3. Educate the public on the challenges faced by urban wildlife, and to advocate for the importance of wildlife in the urban environment, and to educate on the work of Wildlife Rescue.
Applicants should have;
- On-call availability of 2+ days a week, from April to June, weekday availability is an asset!
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Physically fit and able to lift upwards of 15lbs
- Ability to work in a team setting and follow directions
- Comfortable having conversations with members of the public
- Ability to commit to long volunteer hours with short notice
Scope of Accountability
The Goose Rescue Volunteers are accountable to the Outpatient care Manager and to the Goose Rescue Team Leads for following direction, assisting with capture and safely executing the rescue plan as communicated by the Team Leads. All team members are responsible for communicating with the public.
Priorities and Expectations
Volunteers are expected to ensure the highest standards of practice are achieved and maintained in accordance with the mission, vision and values of Wildlife Rescue and the Outpatient Care Program. Team members represent the organization as a first contact to the public thus volunteers are always expected to act and communicate in a professional manner when in the field.
- ensure a quick, efficient and low stress rescue as planned by the Team Leads;
- follow direction and instructions of team members
- communicate in a respectful manner;
- maintain a high level of Health & Safety practices while in the field
- encouraging public support for Wildlife rescue
- Maintain best practices working with wildlife
Participants in this seasonal program with provide a calendar of availability for the duration of goose season (April-June). Volunteers will be contacted by team leads and/or Helpline staff on the days of the week they have communicated availability. Rescues can take approximately 1-3 hours and a team can complete multiple rescues back-to-back in one day. Team members will need to allow for the time it takes to travel to and between rescue locations. *Vehicle not required
Recognition & Benefits
In this position you will have the opportunity to:
- make a difference for urban geese;
- contribute to the development and efficient operation of our seasonal rescue program;
- build on your knowledge, skills and experience in the rescue field;
- meet and work with new people.
Upon successful completion of the season, volunteers are encouraged to move to a regular rescue or transport volunteer role.