Mining Art Gallery (MAG) Engager
Explore the vibrant world of local mining culture and become a volunteer in our incredible Mining Art Gallery!
Our Mining Art Gallery is not just an art collection; it is an intimate and aw-inspiring journey into the heart of coal mines and the local communities which grew out from them. Created in partnership with Dr. Robert McManners OBE and Gillian Wales, your role as a MAG engager will empower you to lead our visitors through the captivating stories of mining depicted in over 420 works by renowned local mining artists – Tom McGuinness and Norman Cornish and many more!
As a MAG engager, you will be at the forefront of connecting with visitors, sharing the incredible stories portrayed in the artwork. Your thoughtful and clear interpretation will ensure that our visitor leaves with a memorable and enriching experience. Join us in us in making the Mining Art Gallery a vibrant hub of discovery and connection!
Mining Art Gallery - The Auckland Project, Bishop Auckland
Time Commitment and Info
Ideally, we would prefer people who can commit to at least one shift per week - but this is a suggestion and we are happy to discuss your availability with you to find a suitable arrangement.
Our Visitor Attractions are open Wed – Sunday (including Bank Holiday Mondays)
What skills and qualities do I need?
No previous experience or qualifications are necessary for this fantastic opportunity to acquire new skills. We believe this role is perfect for individuals who:
· Radiate a welcoming, approachable and helpful demeanour
· Are proactive with a positive nature, an interest in providing an excellent visitor experience
· Enthusiastic and willing to learn about the Mining Art Gallery which includes completing training for new exhibitions
· Reliable, well-presented, friendly and polite
· Comfortable collaborating as part of a team
• Are able to undertake the activity with and without supervision
We are excited to welcome people with some or all of these qualities to the team.
What support and training will I receive?
Don’t worry we’ve got you, with a warm welcome and some great training:
You’ll kick things off with a friendly welcome session, a great way to dive into your new adventure. Our fantastic Visitor Operations team members will be your go to guides, showing you the ropes and making sure you are ok.
You won’t be flying solo! An experienced buddy will be right there with you, making sure you have what you need to understand the role.
Need a hand? Our amazing supervisors are on standby to lend a hand and provide the support you need.
But wait, there’s more! We’ve also got Mining Art Gallery briefing notes to make learning a breeze. We are all about setting you up for a success on this journey.
What will you expect from me as a Mining Art Gallery Volunteer?
Your volunteering will be a big deal, you will be helping make Bishop Auckland even better. Here’s what we need from you, simple and clear:
· Be buddies with everyone – staff, volunteers and visitors We are all in this together!
· Learn the ropes – take the training we offer, and join meetings when they happen.
· Spread the positivity – you are our ambassador, keep it upbeat.
· Safety first – know what to do in case of fire or emergency.
· Stick to the rules – our policies and procedures are our team playbook, let’s play by them
What can I expect from gifting my time as a Mining Art Gallery Volunteer?
Here’s what you can expect from this fantastic opportunity – clear and important:
· A warm and delightful experience for you and our visitors
· The chance to learn and develop fresh skills and experiences; fine tune your excellent customer service skills
· Fair respect and treatment – you’re a valued part of the team!
· We see and appreciate the difference you make – recognition and gratitude are part of the deal.
· Meeting a diverse range of people, making connections and forging new friendships.
· Personal satisfaction that you have truly enhanced our visitors’ experience.
· Valuable work experience, especially if you have an eye to a future in Heritage and Culture
· A CV and job application boost – real, hands-on experience to set you apart.
How to Apply