Faith Museum Engager/Invigilator
Step into the vibrant world of history by volunteering with us in the Faith Museum!
Housed in the historic Grade 1 listed Scotland Wing of Auckland Castle, this new museum explores the story of faith in Britain and its meaning today. By volunteering with us, you will help our visitors discover fascinating stories of faith in Britain - spanning 4 dynamic galleries, over 250 objects and 6000 years of history.
But that’s not all – brace yourself for an exhilarating experience with our vibrant and evolving programme of changing displays and temporary exhibitions. This dynamic atmosphere is the ideal opportunity for individuals passionate about faith, history and connecting with the public through the art of story-telling.
Join us to assist us in providing our visitors with clear and informative engagement, encouraging them to reflect on how individuals throughout history, as well as those in the present day, experienced and continue to experience faith.
The Faith Museum, Auckland Castle - The Auckland Project, Bishop Auckland
Time Commitment and Info
Our Visitor Attractions are open Wed – Sunday (including Bank Holiday Mondays)
What skills and qualities do I need?
No previous experience or qualifications are necessary for this fantastic opportunity to acquire new skills. We believe this role is perfect for individuals who:
· Radiate a welcoming, approachable and helpful demeanour
· Are proactive with a positive nature, an interest in providing an excellent visitor experience
· Enthusiastic and willing to learn about the Faith Museum which includes completing training for new exhibitions
· Reliable, well-presented, friendly and polite
· Comfortable collaborating as part of a team
• Are able to undertake the activity with and without supervision
We are excited to welcome people with some or all of these qualities to the team.
What support and training will I receive?
Don’t worry we’ve got you, with a warm welcome and some great training:
You’ll kick things off with a friendly welcome session, a great way to dive into your new adventure. Our fantastic Visitor Operations team members will be your go to guides, showing you the ropes and making sure you are ok.
You won’t be flying solo! An experienced buddy will be right there with you, making sure you have what you need to understand the role.
Need a hand? Our amazing supervisors are on standby to lend a hand and provide the support you need. Plus, our volunteer support leaders are here for your well-being with some extra check-ins and support.
But wait, there’s more! We’ve also got Faith Museum online training modules and briefing notes to make learning a breeze. We are all about setting you up for a success on this journey.
What will you expect from me as a Faith Museum Volunteer?
Your volunteering will be a big deal, you will be helping make Bishop Auckland even better. Here’s what we need from you, simple and clear:
· Be buddies with everyone – staff, volunteers and visitors We are all in this together!
· Learn the ropes – take the training we offer, and join meetings when they happen.
· Spread the positivity – you are our ambassador, keep it upbeat.
· Safety first – know what to do in case of fire or emergency.
· Stick to the rules – our policies and procedures are our team playbook, let’s play by them
What can I expect from gifting my time as a Faith Museum Volunteer?
Here’s what you can expect from this fantastic opportunity – clear and important:
· A warm and delightful experience for you and our visitors
· The chance to learn and develop fresh skills and experiences; fine tune your excellent customer service skills
· Fair respect and treatment – you’re a valued part of the team!
· We see and appreciate the difference you make – recognition and gratitude are part of the deal.
· Meeting a diverse range of people, making connections and forging new friendships.
· Personal satisfaction that you have truly enhanced our visitors’ experience.
· Valuable work experience, especially if you have an eye to a future in Heritage and Culture
· A CV and job application boost – real, hands-on experience to set you apart.
How to Apply