Iowa Legal Aid provides free, high quality legal education, advice and representation to low-income and elderly Iowans with civil legal problems that most dramatically affect Iowa’s poor and vulnerable populations. We rely on volunteers to help us reach even more people and provide them with excellent services. If you would like a meaningful, dynamic and professional volunteer position, please consider serving as a paralegal intern/volunteer.
- Draft letters and legal documents.
- Make phone calls to clients and/or witnesses.
- Assist attorneys with case preparation and trial.
- Maintain detailed and accurate case notes.
- Conduct legal research/writing.
- Scan, fax, copy, and mail documents and letters.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by supervisor(s).
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and follow established policies and procedures.
- Some completed Paralegal/Legal Assistant coursework, prior work experience or equivalent background.
- Strong computer skills.
- Pleasant, patient and dependable.
Training and Support:
- Volunteer will be trained on Iowa Legal Aid’s computer and telephone systems as well as office equipment.
- Volunteer will receive support and supervision from Iowa Legal Aid’s staff and/or AmeriCorps members.
- The time commitment will depend on the volunteer’s availability and Iowa Legal Aid’s needs.
- Volunteer must be available to come into the regional office during business hours.
- Iowa Legal Aid offices are located in Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa City, Mason City, Ottumwa, Sioux City and Waterloo.
- Gain experience drafting legal documents and letters in a professional legal setting.
- Receive feedback from attorneys to help improve skills.
- Work with dedicated, passionate and collegial staff and volunteers.
- Positively impact members of your community.
- Iowa Legal Aid will work with students who desire to set up a formal internship for credit through their paralegal program or who are able to arrange for work study or other funding.
If you are interested in this volunteer position, please visit the “Careers and Volunteers” page at www.iowalegalaid.org
Please note that all positions may not be available at all times or locations nearest you. For example, a particular position may have been filled or we may have limited capacity to engage volunteers with certain types of skills. Even though we cannot guarantee a placement to every prospective volunteer, we will do our best to match the applicants’ skills and interests with our present needs.
Iowa Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Reasonable accommodations are available to qualified applicants upon request
Auxiliary aids and services are available in alternative formats