Law student intern/volunteer
Iowa Legal Aid provides free, high quality legal education, advice and representation to low-income and elderly Iowans with civil legal problems that most dramatically affect Iowa’s poor and vulnerable populations. We rely on volunteers to help us reach even more people and provide them with excellent services. If you would like a meaningful, dynamic and professional volunteer position, please consider serving as a law student intern /volunteer.
- Interviewing and advising clients.
- Organizing files.
- Conducting legal research.
- Drafting letters and papers.
- Conducting, observing and participating in court and administrative hearings.
- Currently attending an ABA accredited law school.
- Good organizational, research and writing skills.
- Able to easily use computers (Web browsing, word processing, and file management).
- Able to work with people who are low-income, elderly, victims of domestic/sexual abuse, from other cultural and/or ethnic backgrounds and/or have disabilities.
Training and Support:
- Volunteer will be trained on Iowa Legal Aid’s computer and telephone systems as well as office equipment.
- Volunteer will receive support and supervision from Iowa Legal Aid’s staff and/or AmeriCorps members.
- The time commitment will depend on the volunteer’s availability and Iowa Legal Aid’s needs.
- Depending on the assignment, the volunteer may be required to come into the office or could work from home.
- Iowa Legal Aid offices are located in Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa City, Mason City, Ottumwa, Sioux City and Waterloo.
- Apply legal training to real cases.
- Work with dedicated, passionate and collegial staff and volunteers.
- Positively impact members of your community.
- Iowa Legal Aid will work with students who desire to set up a formal internship for credit through their law school or who are able to arrange for work study or other funding.
If you are interested in this volunteer position, please visit the “Careers and Volunteers” page at www.iowalegalaid.org
Please note that all positions may not be available at all times or locations nearest you. For example, a particular position may have been filled or we may have limited capacity to engage volunteers with certain types of skills. Even though we cannot guarantee a placement to every prospective volunteer, we will do our best to match the applicants’ skills and interests with our present needs.
Iowa Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Reasonable accommodations are available to qualified applicants upon request
Auxiliary aids and services are available in alternative formats