Iowa Legal Aid provides free, high quality legal education, advice and representation to low-income and elderly Iowans with civil legal problems that most dramatically affect Iowa’s poor and vulnerable populations. We rely on volunteers to help us reach even more people and provide them with excellent services. If you would like a meaningful, dynamic and professional volunteer position, please consider serving as a volunteer translator/interpreter.
- Translate client letters, vital documents, posters and/or website articles.
- Meet necessary deadlines for document translations.
- Assist with community outreach to potential Limited English Proficiency (LEP) clients.
- Ability to translate and/or interpret between English and a language of Iowa’s LEP low-income populations, including but not limited to Spanish, Arabic, Bosnian, Somali, Chinese, Vietnamese, French, German, Russian, Swahili and Laotian.
- Pass a bilingual fluency test.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and follow established policies and procedures.
Training and Support:
- Volunteer will receive training on the translation procedure.
- Volunteer will be given access to appropriate Iowa Legal Aid bilingual resources, including legal dictionaries.
- Volunteer will receive support and supervision from Iowa Legal Aid’s staff and/or AmeriCorps members.
- The time commitment will depend on the volunteer’s availability and Iowa Legal Aid’s needs.
- Translators may volunteer from home or from the Iowa Legal Aid office depending on project availability.
- Interpreters who choose the assist at outreach sites will need to be physically present at the site.
- Iowa Legal Aid offices are located in Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa City, Mason City, Ottumwa, Sioux City and Waterloo.
- Gain experience working in a professional legal setting.
- Improve bilingual skills.
- Help low-income residents gain access to justice.
- Work with dedicated, passionate and collegial staff and volunteers.
If you are interested in this volunteer position, please visit the “Careers and Volunteers” page at www.iowalegalaid.org
Please note that all positions may not be available at all times or locations nearest you. For example, a particular position may have been filled or we may have limited capacity to engage volunteers with certain types of skills. Even though we cannot guarantee a placement to every prospective volunteer, we will do our best to match the applicants’ skills and interests with our present needs.
Iowa Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Reasonable accommodations are available to qualified applicants upon request
Auxiliary aids and services are available in alternative formats