Current Volunteer Openings - Friendly Visitor- Hastings-Sunrise, Vancouver
We are currently recruiting friendly, welcoming, and patient volunteers to provide companionship, support, and stimulation to seniors, living independently in the Hastings- Sunrise community of Vancouver.
Friendly visitors in the Better at Home Program enable seniors to participate in community life as long as possible by providing companionship, support, and stimulation to seniors living independently and who also may be living in isolation.
The Friendly Visiting Service is designed to match seniors with volunteers for companionship and to increase their connection to the community where they live. The goal of this service is to improve the client’s quality of life, assist them to stay independent and increase their self-confidence. Activities typically include:
- Visiting the client in their home
- Building and fostering a supportive relationship
- Assisting the client with social and recreation activities
- Assisting client with local short walks
- Assisting client to connect with existing community resources
- Contacting the program staff with any health or other concerns about the client.
Time Commitment and Schedule:
- Schedules are flexible; 6-month minimum commitment. Shifts occur between 9am & 5pm, Mondays to Fridays.
- Intermediate English or above
- 19 years or above
- Training and/or experience related to working with and/or providing support to seniors and/or person with disabilities
- Available to attend and complete volunteer orientation and training sessions
- Experience working with seniors in the home or residential care unit (an asset)
- Additional language such as Italian or Cantonese (an asset)
- Training and experience in counseling (an asset)
Personal Traits/ Qualities Desired:
- Patient, caring and compassionate; Be able to establish good rapport with seniors
- Reliable, punctual and responsible when keeping appointments and visiting client’s home
- Be sensitive to cultural diversity
Orientation and Training Provided:
- General orientation to S.U.C.C.E.S.S
- Specific orientation and training for the volunteer position
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Support the work of S.U.C.C.E.S.S. in our mission to build bridges, harvest diversity and foster integration through service and advocacy
- An opportunity to learn and gain experience from working with seniors
- Opportunity to make a difference in a seniors' life
- Letter of Reference available upon request after completion of 6 months volunteering
- This position will be supervised by the Better at Home Program Officer
Application and Screening Process:
Please apply at http://bit.do/betterathome and indicate you are applying for the ‘Better at Home- Friendly Visitor position.
Staff Contact: Lynn Lin, Better at Home Program Officer, email@example.com, 604-408-7274 ext. 2157
Selected applicants will be interviewed prior to placement and must have a criminal record check clearance prior to volunteering. S.U.C.C.E.S.S. will arrange for a free criminal record check for chosen applicants.
This activity generally occurs on
- Monday - Morning, Afternoon
- Tuesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Wednesday - Morning, Afternoon
- Thursday - Morning, Afternoon
- Friday - Morning, Afternoon