Alberta Parks Projects - 2023 - High Rockies Trail - general maintenance
Friends of Kananaskis Country
TRAIL CARE VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!
HIGH ROCKIES TRAIL - GENERAL MAINTENANCE
This project will work on several sections of the High Rockies trail over multiple dates. Types of work will vary depending on the section and could include:
- small to medium-sized tread repairs to fix drainage issues and overall tread condition
- brushing work to improve sightlines
- Rock work to remove rocks/boulders from trail surface on open scree slope sections
Meeting time: 9:30am (work day: 9:30am-3:30pm)
Meeting location: will be confirmed in trail day reminder sent the day prior. Volunteers must be willing to leave vehicle(s) at either end of trail work segments for end-of-day carpooling back to start location.
What to expect: The level of effort will range from light to moderate and mainly include using hoes, rakes and Pulaskis to dig/till or otherwise remove ruts in seasonal wet/muddy sections, boot-packing and raking smooth finished tread on damaged tread sections, brushing and limbing hazard trees/bushes, and rock work to move and adjust rocks on various sections of trail.
REMINDER: a Kananaskis Conservation Pass is required to park your vehicle at provincial park and public lands sites in Kananaskis and the Bow Valley.
Volunteer Agreement Form: You will need to fill out this volunteer agreement waiver prior to working on a trail care event. The form will be valid until March 31, 2024. To accelerate the paperwork process, please visit the link above to fill out this form ASAP prior to the trail day.
SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE TO SIGN UP
- Sign up closes at 12pm on the day prior to the event.
- Confirmed sign-ups will receive a reminder email the day prior to the event with additional information on what to bring and any updates to meeting time/place.
- If you haven't already signed up as an FKC volunteer, you can do that here
New to Friends of Kananaskis? Curious about volunteering on a trail day but not sure what to expect? Check out this post on our website to learn about what we do on various types of trail days and what the work is like. What Are Trail Days Like? Our focus is on providing fun, safe and meaningful opportunities for our volunteers to give back to Kananaskis. If you have any questions, send us an email!