The Common Good - Thrift Store Sorter/Pricer
The Common Good Thrift and Consignment is a social enterprise designed to raise funds for ECM’s community programs, such as our healthcare center One Hope Centro de Vida, which offers low-cost, holistic healthcare to uninsured patients.
The purpose of the Sorter role is to receive donations, perform initial quality assessment of merchandise, ensure that the Back Room operates efficiently, and ensure that donated merchandise quickly moves from the Back Room onto the Floor. Once Sorters have been trained on pricing, they can also assign prices to items.
Volunteers need to commit to a shift of a least two hours each week (every other week is also ok, but weekly is strongly preferred). If your available time slots do not match the preset shifts, just let us know when you are available in the "comments" section of the application and we'll assign you to the best time slot.
- Receive donations of merchandise from customers, offer them receipts and/or appreciation coupons.
- Organize incoming merchandise according to type, putting like with like.
- Perform quality control, and dispose of unsellable merchandise according to store's disposal policies.
- If trained on pricing, affix price tags to items according to standardized price lists or research of what the item is going for on the secondhand market.
- Place priced items on display, maintain neatness and cleanliness of displays.
- Maintain neatness and cleanliness of back room, back office, and storage units.
- Answer customer's questions about merchandise, The Common Good, and ECM.
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills; ability to work in a team and resolve conflicts
- Ability to talk to customers about East Central Ministries; must feel comfortable answering phone calls
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail
- Retail experience a plus, but not necessary
- Light to moderate physical exertion (lifting, standing, etc.)
The store is open, and needs volunteers, from 10 am to 5 pm Tues-Fri, and 10 am to 4 pm Sat. If the shifts available for signing up do not work with your schedule, please let us know in the comments of your application when you would be able to volunteer, and we'll put you on the schedule.
The next 10 shifts (out of 716 total shifts) for this activity are as follows
|Date||Start Time||End Time|
|Tuesday, August 20, 2019||10:00 AM||1:30 PM|
|Tuesday, August 20, 2019||1:30 PM||5:00 PM|
|Wednesday, August 21, 2019||10:00 AM||1:30 PM|
|Wednesday, August 21, 2019||1:30 PM||5:00 PM|
|Thursday, August 22, 2019||10:00 AM||1:30 PM|
|Thursday, August 22, 2019||1:30 PM||5:00 PM|
|Friday, August 23, 2019||10:00 AM||1:30 PM|
|Friday, August 23, 2019||1:30 PM||5:00 PM|
|Saturday, August 24, 2019||10:00 AM||1:00 PM|
|Saturday, August 24, 2019||1:00 PM||4:00 PM|