Summer Splash Pad
Volunteer Position Description
Volunteers are valued as an integral part of our team bringing a wealth of enthusiasm, skill and experience. We treat our Recreation volunteers as potential future part-time employees. We provide them with the skills they need to assist us effectively in our public programming and in return, we offer workshops and coaching that will improve their likelihood for employability.
- Assignment: Splash Pad Volunteer
- Purpose of Assignment: To create a positive learning space by ensuring the health, safety and fun of all participants. Continuously striving to deliver excellent customer service to all participants, parent/guardians and patrons. Volunteers will assist with providing support to participants during swimming lessons.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to shift to change into swimwear
- Assist with the set up and clean up of pool equipment (ie. flotation devices)
- Help with the maintenance of pool equipment
- Create a fun and inclusive environment for participants by reporting any bullying or harassment
- Time Commitment: Splash Pads are located at many recreation centres across the city with varying times. Shifts usually have a duration of 1-4 hours, weather permitting.
- Position Requirements:
- Must be at least 14 years’ old
- Must have attended a mandatory Volunteer Orientation/Training
- Minimum of Bronze Medallion must be valid until last day of lessons
- Have the desire to work in aquatics
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff and participants
- Be a team player, able to work well with fellow volunteers and staff
- Able to demonstrate patience when dealing with different participants
- Supervision: Staff and lifeguards will always be present. Volunteers are not included in the staff to participant ratio so there will always be adequate supervision. For program specific inquires (cancelled dates or missed shifts) report to the on-site contact. For any other volunteering concerns, report to the designated Volunteer Specialist.
- Working Conditions: Outdoor pool conditions. Must be comfortable in an aquatic environment and standing long periods of time
- Uniform Requirements: Full, secure, one piece bathing suit is required. Sunscreen and drinking water, snacks and/or lunches are the responsibility of the volunteer
- Benefits: The benefits of this position are:
- Potential future opportunities for part-time employment with the City of Brampton
- Great experience for those wanting to get their Swim Intructor and/or their National Lifeguard certification
- Development of customer service skills
- Increased ability to communicate effectively with others
- Gather management and supervision experience