Purpose of the Role: To provide companionship and support for patients and their visitors
- Providing companionship and support for patients and their relatives and friends.
- Patient Check: Making sure that all items that the patient requires are within reach of the patient
- Freshening flowers throughout each ward (see duty description)
- Assisting and accompanying independent patients on walks (if given consent by staff)
- Taking wheelchair patients out of their rooms for a walk (If given consent by staff and if staff assist patient into wheelchair)
- Offering fluids to bed ridden patients (unless directed not to do so by staff).
- Assisting with patient menus or other forms patients may need assistance in filling out.
- Making tea and coffee for relatives or patients outside of morning/afternoon tea times.
- Setting patients up for meals
- Delivering phone messages to patients
- Keeping area tidy
- Reading to patients /Playing board games or cards
- Hand, foot massage, applying makeup, brushing hair etc.
Personal Attributes Required:
- Well developed communication skills (listening, speaking, nonverbal) and the ability to interact with people from diverse backgrounds
- A non judgmental attitude; empathy and patience
- A willingness to be a part of the team at Hollywood
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality
- A genuine interest in and liking of people
- Reliability, punctuality and the ability to commit time to volunteer on a regular basis
- A willingness to undergo orientation and training and to attend Volunteer Services Meetings