Museum Event Maker
Do you enjoy making people feel welcome? Do you love to engage and chat with people, young and old? Are you the host with the most?
Come and join a team who deliver exciting events all year round for families and adults at the RAF Museum Cosford site.
No experience is necessary, and full training will be provided. You can choose when to volunteer to match your availability, there is no regular weekly commitment. There are opportunities available now! Our events take place during the week, in the evenings or over the weekend, so there will be something you can get involved with. Help just once or every event, it’s up to you. There is the option to be involved from the planning of an event through its delivery to the packing up at the end, working alongside our staff team to deliver unforgettable experiences for our visitors.
We are looking for volunteers who can be:
- Be confident in engaging and approaching our visitors
- Be interested in helping to deliver different types of events
- able to work as a team
- punctual and able to fulfil the commitments you sign up to
- personable, friendly and approachable
- happy to be flexible on the if the need arises during an event.
Click on the fill in an application button below.
Spitfire Tour Volunteer
The RAF Museum’s Spitfire XIX is going on a tour of the Midlands! Join us to celebrate the Museum’s 50th anniversary and to share the fascinating story of the RAF.
Tasks may include:
- Using handling objects and uniforms for dressing up/photo opportunities
- Support visitors to enjoy the replica cockpit
- Sharing information, you are briefed on with visitors
- Using Fast Family Facts (supplied) to engage younger children/families
- Encouraging visitors to visit RAF Museum Midlands
- Handing out leaflets
- Using a tablet to share information with visitors
We are looking for volunteers who can:
- Engage with a wide range of people in a positive and engaging manner
- Assist colleagues where necessary and have an awareness of the ebb and flow of the day
- Be an ambassador for the Museum
- Be confident to share the short pieces of information you are given on various themes with visitors
- Cope well in crowded outdoor locations
Information will be shared with our volunteers to ensure that they can engage members of the public with confidence, so don’t worry if you don’t know much about Spitfires or the RAF. At the start of each day all participants will receive training, and a briefing about what to expect.
Events will take place in June and July.
We ask that you commit to at least one of the days from the following:
Spitfire display dates
Saturday 18 to Sunday 19 June
9.30 – 16.00
New Street Station
Wednesday 6 to Sunday 10 July
9.15 – 16.00
Leicester – city centre
Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 July
9.30 – 16.00
Volunteers will be able to make their own way to the venue, or make use of the minibus which will be travelling to the location from the RAF Museum Cosford.
We want to make all our volunteer roles as accessible as they can be. There will be a need for standing for 1-2 hours at a time but perching chairs can be provided if requested in advance. Tasks will be rotated throughout the day so we need volunteers who can undertake all of the tasks listed above such as helping volunteers with light costume. Volunteers will not be left on their own. It may be a noisy setting with many groups of people in outdoor settings. There will be a morning and afternoon break with an hour for lunch, but we ask for volunteers to bring a drink bottle and appropriate clothing for an outdoor event.
Travel and food expenses will be reimbursed, in line with our policy. If possible entrance fees to the day’s events will be included. Tea and coffee will be provided on the day.
How to get involved
You can sign up via our website at https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/support-us/volunteering/ by clicking ‘apply now’. Or for more information, contact the Volunteering Team on email@example.com.