Foster carers provide temporary homes for animals in the care of RSPCA who may need respite from the shelter environment, support to recover from an illness or just extra TLC until they are ready to find their forever home.
How do you become a foster carer?
- Fill in an Application Form so we can get to know you.
- Complete our NEW 1 Hour online training.
- Take part in a quick 20 minute virtual property check.
What type of animals are available to foster?
Please review foster regions below for specific priority needs across the state
- Puppies and kittens that are too young for rehoming.
- Animals recovering from illness or injury before being available for adoption.
- Animals requiring behaviour support work.
- Animals that need a safe haven due to a Domestic Violence.
- Animals that have to be evacuated from an emergency situation e.g. floods, bushfires, cyclone.
- Home Ever After animals that are waiting for their owner to return from hospital or whose owner has passed away and are waiting to be rehomed.
Important things to think about when considering Fostering:
- The RSPCA will work hard to ensure they make the best foster matches for you, based on your current situation and the animals needs. Placing the right animal, with the right carer, in the right situation is our priority.
- Being flexible with what animals you can open your home to, opens you to the most potential for placement.
- The Foster length greatly varies from animal to animal depending on their situation, in general most foster lengths are between 2 weeks and 6 months.
- Foster carers must be over 18 and have access to a reliable vehicle/transport.
- Landlord and Body Corporate approvals are required, which can take time to source.
- Current pets in your home must be up to date with vaccinations.
To begin your application process, review the foster regions below.
Foster Positions Available
Come and join the team in Gympie!
As an animal welfare organisation, RSPCA Qld have a variety of different volunteer roles involving hands-on animal interaction.
These roles are incredibly rewarding, but be warned - keeping animals happy and healthy requires a lot of cleaning! It can be physically demanding, and we need assistance every day of the year - whether it's sunshine or rain, a public holiday or a weekday. Of course, it's not just cleaning; there's plenty of opportunities for enrichment activities too.
Volunteer roles can involve working with:
- Domestic animals (dogs, cats, pocket pets, or farmyard) at one of our Animal Care Centres
- Gardening & Maintenance
- Administration Support and Department roles
If you're keen to volunteer in an animal care role, please have a look at our current vacancies and submit an application.
Op Shops & Retail
Ignite Change, Shop with Purpose, and Be a Hero!
Looking for a fulfilling way to make a difference in the lives of animals? Our Op Shops and World For Pets stores are calling for passionate individuals like you to join our cause! By shopping, volunteering, or donating, you can become a hero for the animals we care for and support their well-being.
🐾 Volunteer Opportunities: Are you an animal enthusiast with a flair for retail, customer service, or simply want to be part of a fantastic team?
Join our Op Shop family as an Op Shop Assistant or Op Shop Driver Assistant. Make a tangible impact while gaining valuable experience and creating unforgettable moments. All of our current volunteer vacancies are linked below, please have a look through and apply today!
🐾 Shop with Purpose: Discover amazing bargains and unique treasures while helping us raise crucial funds for over 50,000 animals we care for each year. Our Op Shops offer a wide range of clothing, homewares, accessories, and furniture. Your purchases directly support our mission of compassion.
Join the RSPCA movement today and be a catalyst for change! Click below to explore our Op Shop locations, discover volunteer opportunities, and make a meaningful impact on the lives of animals. Together, let's create a brighter future filled with love, compassion, and wagging tails.